• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 vs. oldsmobile....

XJerome95

NAXJA Forum User
An old lady smashed into my driverside rim goin about 15 mph.Moved my junk all around.What do you guys see?I know about the ball joints but i cant tell if the nuckle or outer c is bent.The track bar looks ok but the axle is NOT centered.

crunch007am5.jpg

crunch003nk7.jpg

crunch002jh0.jpg

I would closely inspect your control arms and mounts as well as the "frame" for damage and bent components.

OH, yeah, REPORT IT TO YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. Make her pay for the damage....

May be an optical illusion, but looks like your camber is way off on the driver's side tire (in at the top).

Just a thought but i'd also check the steering box mounting. It may have been damaged seeing as your axle is so far out of wack. How does she drive(the Jeep, not the old lady)? In anycase, it sounds like a good time to upgrade axle and perhaps the steering box if you notice some play in the output shaft :) Best of luck, D

C looks fubar'd. Trackbar damage too? I fteh axle is not centered the track bar or mount must be tweaked. Even if you could adjust it out to recenter it I would replace it.. maybe the mount is bent too?

Looks to me like the knuckle on top of the axle is bent, thats why the ball joint is not fitting anymore? You may need a whole new housing. Definately check out the track bar mount on the unibody.

I would have the insurance company buy you a whole new front axle (yours has 4.88s and a detroit or an ARB, right?) and a new tracbar, etc. That's why you pay way too much for insurance in the first place, right!!

Yep i figured that housing was toast. I am gonna tear it down in the morning.I found a 87' d30 with 4.11's and a lockright for $250.Thinking i could use my x297 shafts with it.Fingers crossed on the trackbar/mount but i dont see how it could have survived.

I can't really tell but it looks like your axle is a non-disco. The 87 should be a disco axle. I can be made a non-disco, but is it worth the effort for the lower gears and the locker? I know in salvage yards around here a front axle can be had for $100. What gears do you have in the rear?

I just swaped in a 8.25 so its 3.55 I was wondering about the disco thing.It has a hose near the top of the diff but it's got a plastic dowel shoved in it.

Last edited:
That's the diff breather. A disco axle will have a box integrated with the passenger side upper control arm. This box will have a large vacuum diaphragm attached, with linkage to a protruding lever.

:cheers: 87/91 xjs with a 242 came with a non-disco axle, and, yes the housing looks bent. I straighted one in a 95 that was bent in a collision and it eventually bent again while stump jumping. D30s are cheap in the wrecking yard. you find a lot of them that've had the axles sold out of them & you can always swap the carrier out if you've regeared. you can swap the knuckles pretty easily but you'd be better off to get one the right vintage so your brakes will fit. [84/9 then 90 & later] disco/non-disco of course.

Back