• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Rubicon Wheel Question

bwkelley76

NAXJA Forum User

I HAD NO CLUE! ???

So I just learned that they made the Last-Gen TJ (1997-2006) Rubicon Wheel in a polished-face and some were just powder-coated/painted metallic-grey.

I'm curious if anyone has any input/info on this.

I think I like the painted ones better and these are the only ones I had seen until I found a polished set I'm going to be purchasing wiht tires. Which ones do you like better?

3239692197.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Well, it's your opinion that counts! I didn't know they made the polished ones either. I guess it depends if you want more of a "chrome" looking wheel or not, eh?

They'd look hot in black too!

A friend of mine has his powdercoated black on his ZJ. And let me say they look AMAZING.

lol, yeah I had no clue either. If you go online and look for 2003 Rubicon pics they all seem to have the polished ones. If you lok at 2005 you find mostly painted ones. I guess they are the same wheel except with a little "bling".

i didnt realize they made both, so i will add this insight. the clear-coated ones will look alot worse once corrosion sets in where the wheel weights have destroyed the coating.. the colored ones will look better for a longer period... i'm partial to the TJ Ravine wheels myself.

There's another difference in them too - the 03-05 ones look the same as in the first post on this thread - a smooth transition in between the spokes from the wheel edge to the inside of the wheel.

In 06, they changed them to have a lip an inch in - like shown in FitchVA's picture.

I forget which ones are painted and which are clear coated - I'm pretty sure my 05's are clear coated.

Mine have 31" BFG AT's on them, waiting to go on the XJ when I can afford to lift it enough to clear.....in the meantime they are inspection tires for the Rubi...

yeah, I just picked up a set of the clear-coated ones in cen-cal and ended up trading them off to a friend. I like them but I needed the other stuff more. Total sacrafice. These things are getting harder to find, especially in good shape. I'm looking at getting a painted set from a guy up here in Norcal soon I hope. I kinda like both actually. Wish I could have a set of both styles. The extra lip on the 06 ones isn't a big enuf difference to me to matter.

Back