• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle U-Joint Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny Benavidez

NAXJA Forum User
For some weeks now I been hearing a constant taping nose as I dive. So this weekend I’ll spend some time finding this nose. I know most likely it was coming form the front dive lines. So I pulled off my front right tire and stated looking for some thing not right. And I find the u-joint at the hub have some play in it. and this must be the problem. Having a solid front axle will make this repair job simple.

Using a 12mm socket with and reachit, a 12mm ranch I removed the two brake cawaper bolts removed the cawaper, brake pads and disk rotor. Than removed the three 12-point bolts holding the hub into the noktal. Now I just have to pull the hub assembly with the u-joint and half dive shaft in one pieces. I toke the assemble over to a tire and auto repair shop. To get new u-joints pressed into the dive shaft. As they worked on the right u-joint, I went back home and pulled out the left shaft assembly and it's u-jount was woster that the right side. So as I dropped off the left side shaft they war already done with the right shaft assembly. Now I can put back the right side assembly back in to the XJ. I Simply slide the dive axle back into the axle tube with the brake dust cover in between the hub and noktal. And titen up the 6 bolts.

The best part is the fact I can fix this myself, One of many resins why I got a jeep. If a had the dealer fix my U-joints I wood have paid about $600 for both side done and If done by some other auto repair shop it wood be about $400 for both sides done . But I fixed this myself for $32 in parts and $90 for press work by others making my total cost only $122 and 3 hours.

See Some Photos of this at my webpage
http://www.iidesign.info/OR_01XJ.htm

danny Benavidez said:
You have nothing better to say: Jess ?

I'm sure everyone appreciates the effort you put into this write-up, sharing what you did and the amount of money you saved. Whenever you are trying to share information you should be careful to explain things to the best of your ability and make sure everything is clear. While your intentions were great, your spelling and grammer were somewhat lacking. If you are going to put the effort into informing others, take the time to spell words correctly.

Jess said:
I'm sure everyone appreciates the effort you put into this write-up, sharing what you did and the amount of money you saved. Whenever you are trying to share information you should be careful to explain things to the best of your ability and make sure everything is clear. While your intentions were great, your spelling and grammer were somewhat lacking. If you are going to put the effort into informing others, take the time to spell words correctly.

I'm not one to bust on a guy for some typing errors but dang! If you download the Firefox browser it has built in spell check. Like right now, I can see that Jess spelled grammar wrong. ;) (sorry Jess) You have a lot of knowledge to share and we appreciate you being willing to share. I figured out what a cawaper is but what is a noktal?

Content removed by Administrator.

Can You Read This?

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerl m. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mni d deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
tongue.gif

smcdonaldaz said:
I'm not one to bust on a guy for some typing errors but dang! If you download the Firefox browser it has built in spell check. Like right now, I can see that Jess spelled grammar wrong. ;) (sorry Jess) You have a lot of knowledge to share and we appreciate you being willing to share. I figured out what a cawaper is but what is a noktal?

I figured it out....
noktal=knuckle

I'm not sure I spelled that right either, but now it is at least a little more understandable.

Good info Danny. Next time go to Harbor Freight and get their ball-joint press for $30-40 (or less, depends if it's on sale.) It can also be used to press u-joints if you just use the plain press and a socket that is just smaller than the u-joint cap. Save your self a few more $. Some people have reported that this press has bent while doing ball-joints but it's more than adequate for u-joints and beats paying a shop or beating on the u-joint and a socket with a hammer (although I'm sure many here have been successful with that method as well.)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38335

Here's a good writeup on how it's used (also a good site in general.)

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm

Last edited:
Check out his photos on his web page he is useing his head for a jack stand

jeep ride said:
Check out his photos on his web page he is useing his head for a jack stand

Yikes. and with a factory scissor jack.
Wasnt there a recent thread where someones scissor jack broke or bent or something and their Jeep came tumbling down?

Danny, good for you getting your nails dirty to save a few bucks, but next time, you should really think about safety more. What you are doing, you may have gotten by with for years, I dont know, but someday you will because a statistic (do they keep statistics on crush victims). Its cool saving money by doing your own work. Its not cool saving money by doing it unsafe. Get yourself a good floor jack and some jack stands.

Ray H said:
Yikes. and with a factory scissor jack.Get yourself a good floor jack and some jack stands.

I had one years ago and give it to a friend win i got this XJ Hopeing I wood not need it.
I'll get a new one soon. And before I need it.

Blaine B said:
Did anybody have a giggly LOL like I did? .

I got no idem what it is ? I fond it behind the glove box door. It's from the last owner.
So I take it you know what this is ? Blaine B

Danny www.BlueXJ.com

Last edited:
You're now on notice, Danny. Take a chill pill RIGHT NOW. Do it again, and you're on vacation.

You've been here all of 4 months. I wish I had a dime for every time a u-joint replacement has been written up. Mine has been up for at least 4 years now.

And this thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back