• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing my jeep's brake booster with superglue

danny Benavidez

NAXJA Forum User
As I was leaving my house today and before I drive off of my yard and into the street I tired to slow down. And I fond out I had no brakes ! As I push down on the brake paddle not a thing happen. It felt just like I was trying to stop with the engine off. And that is about win I know my brake booster is out. And that I had a vacuum leak somewhere in the lines. After I opened the hood to check the brake booster and hoses I notice the problem right away. The cap on the elbow connecting the buster to holes come off. So I looked for the cap along my drive way and fond the thing laying on the ground. For now I will just superglue the cap back on the elbow giving my presser in my vacuum lines. lintel tomorrow when I can stop by the auto junk yard and get a new one.

Some Photos are on my webpage
http://www.iidesign.info/OR_01XJ.htm

That part (if I'm looking at the right pic - black elbow?) would be called the "Brake Booster Vacuum Check Valve," and should be available anywhere that carries HELP! parts (parts houses and some hardware stores, if you're lucky.)

It's a fairly standard part - there are only a half-dozen or so different types in use! - and should cost you something less than ten dollars. Easy enough to replace - you should already know how, since you've picked up the broken one and glued it in place.

You're likely to tear the grommet tho (they usually break where they push into the booster grommet,) so you may want to grab a spare one of those as well and do the job all at once.

A dime in a dozen i'm shore, But I needed a fix Today , so I can dive my only set of wheels to the junk yard or auto part store to fix it right.

danny Benavidez said:
A dime in a dozen i'm shore, But I needed a fix Today , so I can dive my only set of wheels to the junk yard or auto part store to fix it right.

Understood.

Don't bother getting one at the boneyard - even odds the damned thing will break as you're installing it (they almost never break coming out. If I ever catch that Murphy SOB...)

use some kind of lube [wd-40 or whatever,twist & pull at the some time. If you're careful you'll hardly ever break one,same thing with the grommet, the check valves are the same on lots of rigs & the black ones seem to be less prone to break then the white ones.

If you release the vacuum by pumping the pedal (engine off), it will come out easier. A little lube helps too.

cherokee chuck said:
use some kind of lube [wd-40 or whatever,twist & pull at the some time. If you're careful you'll hardly ever break one,same thing with the grommet, the check valves are the same on lots of rigs & the black ones seem to be less prone to break then the white ones.

Do please reread my post. I've never had one break coming out - but it's even odds (or slightly better) that it will break when you put it back in.

As far as losing the valve, it's happened to me just often enough that it's one of the spare parts I keep on hand all the time (along with a set of FI o-rings, spare U-joints, ...) in my toolbox or in the truck. That's how I know they're readily available (although I don't recall the part number offhand.)

My check valve is slowly going bad. It holds for a little while, but will lose boost without the engine running. I think yours has gone vellyu up completely.

Also, check the hose to the booster and make sure it doesn't have a hole......

Back