• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Massive np 242 woes (89 with a 350)

longhorncherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Im in the process of putting a 350 in my jeep and I planned on going from 3inches of lift to a little over 5 and wanted to put a sye probably a hack and tap on my 242. One problem im worried about the strength of the shaft. Anyone have some strong ideas or companies that sell kits for this. Any info is greatly apreciated thanks

I don't think i would use the stock t-case.. I would do some research on stronger t-cases an trans ... I tore up mine with a stock 6.. 350 has more power i would think.. I may be wrong

I do like my np242 case, its nice having the full-time option. What other cases bolt up to my transmission which is a sm420, With adapters i can get the np242 and np231 to bolt up to it.

IIRC Hummers use the 242h it has an hd shaft chain and planetary. You should be able to swap in some of those parts into your case or just aquire a 242h

A Dodge NV242HD from a Durango or Dakota has a 32 spline output shaft a remote cooler and the wide chain.

I believe the 241 SYE hack & tap will work on the 242HD

A stock Durango case is rated at 2048# of torque, the Hummer case is rated at 2430# of torque and the XJ case is rated at 1486# of torque.

The 231HD case has a rated lower torque rating then either of the 242HD cases.

The Hummer NV242HD AMG case doesn't have the 2wd high range.

PM me for more info in PDF form.

my 231 lasted a few years after i put a 350 in my jeep. Until last summer's playing at the mud races every other weekend. Now im workin on puttin in my 241 out of a rubicon. My 231 sounds like its about to blow up, in 4 hi or lo you can drive down the road and its popping so bad that it about stops pulling. I think the planetaries are worn or maybe a bearing on the planetary is gone?? but none the less its goin to get either trashed or semi rebuilt to turn it into a crawl box if i can find a box for rocks kit.

and as far as driveshafts go, i am running a tom woods deal which was bought 100 years ago and all it is just a front driveshaft cv with the flange adapter on it. Been holding up, kinda... busted 3 cv flanges in the past few years. $65 a pop for them. part # 211229x spicer. 1310 stuff.

Last edited:
No. the case isnt that bad. You dont have to do anything other than putting an SYE in there. And as far as busting the t-case that is mostly about driveshaft clearances/angles/ and having a sye conversion. Run the slip yoke and you will bust rear halves of cases

I've got a Tom Woods SYE made specifically for the NP242. I have had zero problems with it, but I'm just running the 4.0L stock engine. The kit was around $450, IIRC. It's not a hack and tap, includes a new mainshaft that is splined and threaded for the new yoke.

alrite, you have to look at the price of an sye... JB conversions super shorty is like $300 i think?? So then you got 300 dollars into a 19 year old transfercase (assuming its an 89 model). Then you got to have a driveshaft made ($200 at least). So think about what your doin to it versus buying someone elses that has upgraded and now wants to renew their wallet a little, or a rubicon case, or whatever else....

I was goin to buy a new tom woods sye, almost $300, then my t case pretty much bit the dust (planetaries popping and what not, bout to grenade itself) but thats due to mud getting in there. So i bought a rubicon case instead $800. and then a custom rear flange from tom woods for another $100 that allows me to run my current driveshaft and also a 1350 if i upgrade in the future...

just food for thought. search around for folks selling already done up 231's with sye's for cheap!!
:geek:

and if you want to find some 231's for sale go to pirate4x4.com/forum and look in the classified section under- engine/tranny/tcase.

yeap. Most of the Z71 trucks had that i think. I know a bunch of folks running Z71 cases with no problems but in fullsize rigs(fords). You will still need a slip yoke eliminator for the chevy case.

I probably wouldnt need a adapter for the chevy np 241 it should bolt up to the sm420. that will save me 700 bucks and i could put that to a t-case and a slip yoke eliminator. The 350 and tranny came from either a '85 or '86 chevy scottsdale. does anyone know what years would be best to pick up a np 241 t-case? Ive found some heavy duty syes for the np 241 and they are around $300, I could pick up a t-case from the salvage yard for pretty cheap.

i dont think anything will just bolt up to that sm420 other than a 203 or 205 chevy case with the factory adapter....

maybe vetteboy will chime in and help out on this one??

are you goin to be running a stock bellhousing with a manual clutch linkage on the driver's side with that 4 speed???

Back