• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax-15 swap question

cherokee chuck

NAXJA Forum User
I have an ax15 out of a 95 wrangler to replace the trans in a 95 xj also has a 5 speed & I need to swap the shifter/adapter housing & my chiltons{don't laugh, its all I have] doesn't cover squat on this subject. is this a simple slide it off & swap it, or is it more complicated? I know other than the t/c clocking it's the proper trans,any info on this would be appreciated.:confused1 ,

:dunno: I went the advanced search route & found a lot of info I already know & a thread that gave a vague description and then said to follow the directions in the fsm, which I don't have. I don't want to modify the t/c shifter & it raises the frnt d/s, which I don't want. I'd just like an idea of what's involved before I get started.

cherokee chuck said:
:clap: it's that simple? no complications? just slide it off & slip the other one on? very carefully of course. Gracias 5-90, I just didn't want to get in over head.

A little RTV black to seal the adapter to the transmission case won't go amiss, but that's the basic idea. The core cases and the bellhousings are the same either way, as are the input shafts/spline counts (1-1/8"-10, IIRC.)

Back