• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition/Fuel Modifications

Fastdemise

NAXJA Forum User
I apologize ahead of time if this is already covered. I do not have the spare time nor the internet speeds to sit and search. (Naval Carrier in Persian Gulf)

After finally reading enough to understand about electrical ignitions I was wondering if my fuel infectors if they were bank or sequential firing. I'm pretty sure my ignition system is a waste spark system due to having only 3 coils and 6 cylinders. Has anyone decided to update/replace their ECU to enhance their fuel and ignition system? I'm just sitting here with money to 'burn' and was wondering if it was worth the time. I got the mechanic itch real bad and don't wanna end up doing something I regret later with a brain-dead Cherokee on my hands. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. I know gas prices back home are insane right now and anything I can do to squeeze every little bit can help.

To be more clear, does my Cherokee have sequential injector firing? Also has anybody tossed out the waste spark ignition system in favor for 6 coils 1 per cylinder?
With any questions email: [email protected]

01XJ Just too Da/|/|n Stock

Last edited:
Emailed you buddy :patriot:

Also has anybody tossed out the waste spark ignition system in favor for 6 coils 1 per cylinder?
=======================================
No need to for most people. Most offing is at lower RPM and the stock system is more then up to it.
You ((MAYBE)) able to wire 6 coils to the stock system by ganging two together but you still have a waste system that way. This is fine if your just trying to impress your buddy with a 6 coil system anyway.
You will need coils that look close to the stock coil (to the ECU) when wired to together. Else you will pull a code and maybe burn out the ECU if the Ohms are to low.Just don't wire them in parallel or keep the RPM above 5k.
WARING doing this many turn your ECU into a molten pile of poop. Do this or any mod AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Else it's a stand alone system

Well as I see it I can go 1 of 2 ways. I can just change out the 3 coils with more stronger ones (this being cheaper) or I could just get something like the MSD DIS-4 Plus ignition (more expensive). I'm wanting to just get new coils but due to the XJ having a waste spark system I was wondering if I needed a special kind of coil that had 2 outs instead of the usual 1 so it can fire off 2 cylinders at once. I've read of people enhancing their ignition before but on older Cherokees. Mine is a 2001 and seems to be special. Any advice of clearer direction on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Back