• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

school me on suspension

dreher

NAXJA Forum User
I have never done suspension before and am getting ready to do my XJ this week. I am not wanting to spend a whole lot because I am planning on lifting it in 3 months to a year and a half.

So what is good?
What is decent price and decent quality?
What all do I need to get?
Will the new leaf springs come with new shackles and ubolts?

Any info would be great. I am planning just getting it from NAPA or O'rielly. Would it be cheaper to order online?
Thanks yall.

you need to go to either www.quadratec.com or www.4wd.com ...kits with add a leafs are a little cheaper, but it's better to get the new full leafs. both of these sites have great prices and detailed descriptions of the kits and the max tire sizes without cutting.

I didnt see any stock suspension kits.
The front end of my xj isnt as bad as the back so could I get away with doing just the shocks and leaf springs?

I replaced just my shocks and rear leafs because my rear was sagging pretty bad (stock 99). I also plan to lift in the near future so I found some good stock leafs used (free), and just got some cheap shocks from the 4x4 place, most low priced shocks are similar, you can search "shocks" on here to find some more info on specific brands. I also replaced the u-bolts, probably a good idea to do that.

Do you know whats bad on yours that you need to replace it? If you want to save money and know you will be replacing it all again anyway when you lift, you might want to look at used stuff. Lots of people who lift their jeeps have the old leafs sitting around.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_10.htm

There's replacement stock height leaf springs, then buy the bushings and that will get rid of the sagging. For the front you could go ahead and invest in a pair of JKS ACOS (adjustable coil over spacer) which will also give you the ability to fine tune the height when you lift.

If your planning to lift the jeep some time later, It will be Best just o lift it now and save yourself time and money. No point in buying parts today just to tossing away tomorrow. I'm planning to go with soft ride leaf spring by www.skyjacker.com with 3" lift.

I really need to do the suspension on it. I have severe negative camber on my leafs and the front is bad as well. I need an alignment. I just got newish tires. I will be going to school at the end of the summer for about a year and then I will make wicked money and this will be built up as a trail rig. Did I mention GAS PRICES SUCK A$$.

Go bigger off the bat. You end up spending more money in the long run wanting to go bigger, ask me how I know. It's called "inchitis" and is a very catchy and contagious disease.

I'd first recommend Rusty's from personal experience as well.

Have fun making wicked money!! Send some my way please.

Back