• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt size for engine stand - 2000 4.0L

axshon

NAXJA Forum User
Did a quick search but I'm an idiot and don't remember what the names of the bolts are where you mount the 4.0L on an engine stand. All I'm coming up with is "dem-bolts-on-da-back-a-da-moder'. Got my rebuild starter (complete with blown head from a 2000 Wrangler) in the trailer and want to put it on the stand tonight. Wanted to stop at the home depot before I get home and pick-em up. Last motor on this stand was a Big Block Chev so I'm sure the sizes are different.

It's been 25 years since I rebuilt an engine so wish me luck! I'll be sure to dig around here for gotchas... Planning on a full balance/blueprint just like old times! Been driving desks WAY too long. My fingernails miss the grease.

You mean the ones that normally bolt the bell housing to the back of the block?

If I read the parts guide right they are 10x1.5 metric threads. You just need them long enough to get through the engine mount plates.

The Upper Two are 3/8-16
The Lower Two are M10x1.5 I believe.
Now, lengths I can't help you with because that varies from stand to stand but typically you need a fairly long bolt.

This is from the 2000 parts guide. This clip shows the 2wd rear case.
2000eng-transSmall.jpg

Last edited:
Turned out 3/8 top and 10mm bottom bolts.

Holy cow is that motor HEAVY! I was planning on waiting to purchase an engine hoist but I don't think I'm going to be able to get it from the shed back into the trailer to go the machine shop without one. I think this thing is heavier than the old 351W Fords I used to tinker with. (Or perhaps I'm old and tired...)

Back