• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Axle?

hemihead

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking to upgrade both front and rear axles in my XJ, whats the best, price is not a factor. I am leaning towards the Currie 9inch but also am looking at Dynatrac 60. Anyone buy and use these, looking for feedback good or bad. Thanks

for what size tires??

Here is my specs, RE 6200 5.5 lift 33x12.5 tires. Looking at 4.10 gears,Truetrac front Detroit rear. Teraflex sye cv rear shaft.

The axles you have will handle that setup. Maybe toss in a D-44 rear.

I dont want to spend 1500 per axle with new shafts gears and locker on a weak unit. Would rather spend more on a top quality axle and have it last. The 30 and 35 I have will break sooner or later, depending on use or abuse.

for 33s i wouldnt waste time in changing out the dana30, throw in some shafts and hd ujoints and ur good. For the rear i would get a 8.25 with 29 spline, or a dana44, maybe a ford 8.8. The axles ur lookin at are kinda a overkill for 33s in my opinion

Okay. Do you plan on larger tires?
With a limited slip in the front and 33's I dont think you will hurt the front anytime soon. 33's on stock 44 shafts would be fine as well, but a set of Superior 4340 shafts in a rear 44 even with the detroit will last.
I ran D-44 rear and detroit and D-30 with truetrac on 33's and 35's without a failure.

I installed a D-44 front and front detroit with the 35's and it worked fine as well. I stripped several teeth from the detroit and then started eating right front shafts, ujoints and hubs. Of course took a while to find out I had actually eaten the Detroit locker. Replaced it with an ARB, went to 38's with D-44's front and rear, 4340 shafts and CTM's up front. It worked well till I ate the rear detroit.

The point here is, with 33's a limited slip up front, the D-30 will hold. As I said before, a rear D-44 even with a detroit will be happy to handle the 33's.

If you plan on larger tires, 35s 37's 42's in the future, and money is no object, then get a set of custom D-60's made for about 3500 for the rear and 5000 for the front and never have to worry about it again.

I'm done :compwork:

Back