• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat Belt Buzzer

XJ Jeepin Girl

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 Sport.

Just recently, the buzzer for the seat belt (when you first start up the Jeep) has malfunctioned. Normally, it buzzes for about 30 seconds. It stops immediately if you put the seat belt in the receiver, or if you never do, it will stop after 30 seconds anyway.

Anyway, it never stops now. If I take my seat belt off ever while the car is still on, it will buzz forever. The red light on the left panel is also always on.

I realize this could be a mystery problem that can't be fixed any other way than just disabling it, but I would like to avoid that.

Any ideas?

XJ Jeepin Girl said:
I have a '96 Sport.

Just recently, the buzzer for the seat belt (when you first start up the Jeep) has malfunctioned. Normally, it buzzes for about 30 seconds. It stops immediately if you put the seat belt in the receiver, or if you never do, it will stop after 30 seconds anyway.

Anyway, it never stops now. If I take my seat belt off ever while the car is still on, it will buzz forever. The red light on the left panel is also always on.

I realize this could be a mystery problem that can't be fixed any other way than just disabling it, but I would like to avoid that.

Any ideas?
It sounds to me like your seat belt latch is not acknowledging that it has been "clicked". I would try a new driver's side latch. It is a very easy process to swap one out...IF you can find the part. I think the buzzer is supposed to stay on indefinitely if the latch is not depressed though, so that 30 second thing may have been a malfunction in itself. Hope this helps you out.
-Collin

BIGSLVRXJ said:
It sounds to me like your seat belt latch is not acknowledging that it has been "clicked". I would try a new driver's side latch. It is a very easy process to swap one out...IF you can find the part. I think the buzzer is supposed to stay on indefinitely if the latch is not depressed though, so that 30 second thing may have been a malfunction in itself. Hope this helps you out.
-Collin

That's a good point. But the latch clearly recognizes when the seat belt is latched. I think it's the buzzer malfunctioning.

I just wonder why this started happening, but that I will most likely never know.

XJ Jeepin Girl said:
That's a good point. But the latch clearly recognizes when the seat belt is latched. I think it's the buzzer malfunctioning.

I just wonder why this started happening, but that I will most likely never know.
Ah I see...well it's not in the latch then, I misread your original post. It sounds like some part of the buzzer is, like you said, just malfunctioning because of who knows what reasoning. I'm sure a lot of guys have probably pulled those out of vehicles on here if you're worried about keeping the originality/safety aspect of it. I think all of them on my older Jeeps were junk otherwise I'd send you one. Just check with guys that are parting 84-96 XJs out though, any of those should work for you.

BIGSLVRXJ said:
Ah I see...well it's not in the latch then, I misread your original post. It sounds like some part of the buzzer is, like you said, just malfunctioning because of who knows what reasoning. I'm sure a lot of guys have probably pulled those out of vehicles on here if you're worried about keeping the originality/safety aspect of it. I think all of them on my older Jeeps were junk otherwise I'd send you one. Just check with guys that are parting 84-96 XJs out though, any of those should work for you.

Yeah. The only reason I don't want to disable the buzzer is because I still want it to buzz if you leave the headlights on. Unless there is a way to disable only the seat belt buzzer? But I highly doubt that is possible. And I don't need my Jeep dying on me everywhere. I is forgetful. :roll:

XJ Jeepin Girl said:
Yeah. The only reason I don't want to disable the buzzer is because I still want it to buzz if you leave the headlights on. Unless there is a way to disable only the seat belt buzzer? But I highly doubt that is possible. And I don't need my Jeep dying on me everywhere. I is forgetful. :roll:
Oh, if thats all you wanted to do, just do what poorboy recommended and unplug the connector down at the latch. If you can take the latch out, you will see the connector, it just unplugs. Your headlight buzzer will not be affected. It does require a Torx 50 to get the latch off though so if you don't have that in your tool collection, you might have to borrow one. That buzzer for the seatbelt is one of the more annoying things Jeep installed in my opinion, I thought maybe you just wanted to keep it for some strange reason...

BIGSLVRXJ said:
Oh, if thats all you wanted to do, just do what poorboy recommended and unplug the connector down at the latch. If you can take the latch out, you will see the connector, it just unplugs. Your headlight buzzer will not be affected. It does require a Torx 50 to get the latch off though so if you don't have that in your tool collection, you might have to borrow one. That buzzer for the seatbelt is one of the more annoying things Jeep installed in my opinion, I thought maybe you just wanted to keep it for some strange reason...

Okay, that makes sense.

It is completely annoying. Considering that getting in my Jeep is usually one of the first things I do in the morning, the buzzer is the LAST thing I want to hear as soon as I get in...

I'll disconnect it then. Thanks peeps.

XJ Jeepin Girl said:
Okay, that makes sense.

It is completely annoying. Considering that getting in my Jeep is usually one of the first things I do in the morning, the buzzer is the LAST thing I want to hear as soon as I get in...

I'll disconnect it then. Thanks peeps.
I don't blame you, it is second to the alarm clock in "annoyingness".

Like I said before, just unplug the electrical connector at the seat belt latch.

this will prevent the buzzfrom the seat belt warning (it removes the ground from the circuit, shutting off the buzzer) and leaves the rest of the buzzer to do it's other functions....

XJ Jeepin Girl said:
True.

But I find driving my Jeep that early in the morning annoying altogether. Fricken old thing it is. I'm too used to all my friend's '08s.
Ahh, not to sound like "I just like what I have" with driving XJs, but trust me, you're better off with what you're in. Little things like the seatbelt buzzers annoy you in this Jeep, but atleast your Jeep doesn't beep when you have a passenger that's not wearing a seatbelt because it detects weight on the seat. The newer vehicles have many more annoying things than you would see at a glance.

poorboy_616 said:
Like I said before, just unplug the electrical connector at the seat belt latch.

this will prevent the buzzfrom the seat belt warning (it removes the ground from the circuit, shutting off the buzzer) and leaves the rest of the buzzer to do it's other functions....
Next time type just a little bigger :D...she already said she's going to disconnect it, did you not catch that?

poorboy_616 said:

I CAN READ, THANKS. :wave1:

Did you need some sort of acknowledgment, or can you not read?

BIGSLVRXJ said:
Ahh, not to sound like "I just like what I have" with driving XJs, but trust me, you're better off with what you're in. Little things like the seatbelt buzzers annoy you in this Jeep, but atleast your Jeep doesn't beep when you have a passenger that's not wearing a seatbelt because it detects weight on the seat. The newer vehicles have many more annoying things than you would see at a glance.

I know. My bf's car has that feature. It beeps at me all the time if the car is on and we're parked and I take my seat belt off. Whatever. I guess we can't have enough safety things beeping at us these days!

Sorry, missed the previous comments...

Sorry about the big type too.....

I was trying for just one size up, not the three that I ended up with.....

My XJ is missing the buzzer altogether. I have run the battery dead a couple times now by not having the oh so annoying buzzer.....

My wife laughs, her comment is, your an ASE ceritfied parts guy, four years experience in the automotive parts field a couple years wrenching and your stupid enough to leave you lights on, I should just go to work and not give you a jump....

poorboy_616 said:
My XJ is missing the buzzer altogether. I have run the battery dead a couple times now by not having the oh so annoying buzzer.....

My wife laughs, her comment is, your an ASE ceritfied parts guy, four years experience in the automotive parts field a couple years wrenching and your stupid enough to leave you lights on, I should just go to work and not give you a jump....

That's funny. But the annoying buzzer definitely does keep me from killin' my Jeep. I would be stranded everywhere without the annoying thing!

XJ Jeepin Girl said:
That's funny. But the annoying buzzer definitely does keep me from killin' my Jeep. I would be stranded everywhere without the annoying thing!

Should have bought a Subaru!

XJ Jeepin Girl said:

I left the lights on again yeterday too. It was only a few minutes, so no big deal, but my it was long enough for my wife to make a smart ass comment "you ned to be 10% smarter than what your working with...."

Grrrrr.....

My local boneyard has a few XJ's, they may be seeing my business here in day or two....

Last edited:
Back