• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no spark when warmed up

coryshad

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, i have an 88 cherokee limited auto trans and about 200 k on it... it started off it would run fine but if i shut it off and started it again while still hot it would stall out on the freeway and at stop lights... sometimes getting "stuck" in a pattern of backfires and really rough running and no throttle response. after a minute or two it would just start going fine again for a while. it kept getting worse and worse till now it starts and runs till its warmed up... about 190 degrees and it runs like poo for a few seconds and dies
.. it fires right up like normal once it cools all the way back down. right before it dies it starts back firing and missing really bad.

i've replaced the cps... twice just in case
i also cut out the plug and soldered the wires
new ignition coil
new icm
new plugs and wires
cap and rotor have maybe 5 k on them
egr is disconnected
i've fallowed the o2 sensor and cts to see if they were shorted some where and nothing
also tried unplugging them
there is no spark while cranking from the coil right after it dies

i have fuel pressure tho i dont know how much i'm pretty sure its a spark and timing issue tho
theres also a smell of gas when it dies

i might have done more i dont remember... but i'm really stumped here and any help is much appreciated

thanks

Try checking all of the other connectors including the big one on the firewall by the brake booster.

Sounds like something is either shorting or opening once it gets hot.

yeah i pulled every connector i could find and checked it... even that big one... i think at some point it looks like some one filled that big one with silicone to maybe seal it...:( idk i thought it was wierd but it ran fine with it there for the last 3 years... and i bypast that connector with the cps...

i'll go double check them all... but are any other suggestions?

Well, then you need to run it until it conks out, then quickly test all the sensors. and coil.

I had a bad CPS that tested fine when cold. I only had about 5-10 minutes to test before it cooled off enough.

wich sensors should i focus on? and is it possible i had 3 bad cps's in a row:gonnablow
coil is new... do those ever come bad from the parts store??? its still cold to the touch when it dies

I would test the TPS as well when its hot. I don't know if you can test a MAP but that would be a suggestion as well. In my personal experience they got full of oil and stop working. Does a renix have a cam sensor in the distributor? That might be something to test as well, cam sensors are used during start-up.

oh... wow oil inthe sensors... maybe causing a short that drops voltage to other sensors... like the cps... i never thought about that... sweet something else to check...

renix does have a cam sensor but its not needed to run... from what i've read the computer will guess where its at until it gets it... mine runs the exact same with it unplugged but it takes longer to start

hahaha thats what feel like doing... im lost... there was no oil in the sensor but could a bad map or tps be shorting when hot and killing my 5 volt sensor power?

Back