• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full time light wire

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
Where is the wire that comes from the "Full Time" 4x4 light on an '89 Cherokee with a Manual tranny & NP231?

I swapped in a 242 and would like to know where it goes so I can get the lights working.

mattbred said:
Where is the wire that comes from the "Full Time" 4x4 light on an '89 Cherokee with a Manual tranny & NP231?

I swapped in a 242 and would like to know where it goes so I can get the lights working.

Good luck! It goes through the transmission valve body AFAIK, I have not been able to find a diagram of the wiring in there.

I don't know about the 89 but the 97+ have a different plug so that part and full time light up. Some have done the 231 to 242 conversion and grabbed that part of the harness from the donor. You also have to see if you actually have a bulb in there, my original did not have that bulb inserted.

Well the plug on the transfercase itself only has two prongs. I'm guessing it grounds through the transfercase -> engine -> battery.

So you would have a positive wire going through to the light bulb, then to the switch on the t-case. I just gotta find that wire!

That doesn't help much. That only shows what I know - that there should be a wire going from the bulb to the switch. What I need to know is where this wire is, physically, on a non-full time equipped cherokee.

mattbred said:
That doesn't help much. That only shows what I know - that there should be a wire going from the bulb to the switch. What I need to know is where this wire is, physically, on a non-full time equipped cherokee.

It probably dead ends in the harness somewhere, the instrument panels are standard as are the connectors.

The part time light wire runs to the passenger side fender well, to a switch with a filter on it. Look for the switch on the fender under the pressure bottle.

Just take the wire out of it's loom and route it to the tranfer case switch.....

All it does is provide a ground for the light....

While the Jeep is running, unplug the wire and ground it, the light should then glow....

mattbred said:
That's all fine and dandy, but that doens't solve the "full time" light problem I have ;)

One solution is to disregard the green light.
My 01 Grand Cherokee doesn't have a green light at all because they consider the FT position as normal, no warning light needed.
I even went to the dealer and he showed me his wiring diagrams, none showed the TC wires in the valve body.

The FULL TIME light bezel has to come from the donor vehicle, or you could just live with the 4WD light.....

TO change the bezel remove the IP trim and remove screws from the light panel. Then remove the screen and replce it with the other one. Then put the screws back in and reinstall the trim panel...

That way you have a light that says FULL TIME instead of 4WD......

The wire for the switch on the fender would be the same wire for the 242 t-case switch, it's just routed differently.....

poorboy_616 said:
The FULL TIME light bezel has to come from the donor vehicle, or you could just live with the 4WD light.....

TO change the bezel remove the IP trim and remove screws from the light panel. Then remove the screen and replce it with the other one. Then put the screws back in and reinstall the trim panel...

That way you have a light that says FULL TIME instead of 4WD......

The wire for the switch on the fender would be the same wire for the 242 t-case switch, it's just routed differently.....

You're wrong, or your application is completley different than mine.

On my '89, I have both a "Part Time" and a "Full Time" things in the bezel, just a lightbulb is missing for the "Full time" part.

Meaning the "Part Time" light will come on in 4-High, and the "Full Time" light will come on in 4-Full Time. Two seperate lights, both present on my bezel, with the full time wire missing..

Ah HAH!! Thats the difference!!

I did not know there was a difference!! Maybe the 89 MY wasthe change over to seperate bulbs?? My owners manual (87 XJ) states that there is one bulb for both t-cases. Just the indicator lettering changes.....

All mine has is the green 4WD light (which is defunct on mine, no dash power to bulb)....

poorboy_616 said:

I did not know there was a difference!! Maybe the 89 MY wasthe change over to seperate bulbs?? My owners manual (87 XJ) states that there is one bulb for both t-cases. Just the indicator lettering changes.....

All mine has is the green 4WD light (which is defunct on mine, no dash power to bulb)....

Ahh, I didn't know that. Well then, the hunt for the elusive wire continues!

It may be that the FT t-case has two seperate wires and grounds??

I would try the searcg feature on the board (again, if you already have) and see what other issues have arrisen from this swap....

poorboy_616 said:

I used to own a 87 with factory select. It had 2 lights the green and the amber. From what I remember one wire was a straight shot from the amber light to the TC switch to ground, the other from the green light to the transmission, to the TC switch to ground.

poorboy_616 said:
It may be that the FT t-case has two seperate wires and grounds??

I would try the search feature on the board (again, if you already have) and see what other issues have arisen from this swap....

This is an issue that has come up in the past, I asked if anybody knew what the wires are doing inside the valve body with no response.
I know that the wiring diagram has to exist, but it is hidden well.

THe t-case wiring does NOT go thru the transmission wiring. The ONLY thing on the transmission is the NSS and it is not related in any way to the t-case besides being attached to it......

poorboy_616 said:
THe t-case wiring does NOT go thru the transmission wiring. The ONLY thing on the transmission is the NSS and it is not related in any way to the t-case besides being attached to it......

I just looked at the wiring of the 87. It clearly shows the wire going through the transmission. What makes you think otherwise?

Back