• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE slip yoke eliminator front drive shaft D35

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
This post is for the record. In all of the research I did I could not find a single person who had installed a SYE and utilized a stock front Drive shaft in the rear with a D35. Lots of people have done it with the D44 or 8.25 with lots of success due to the longer pinions.

I used a JB Conversion HD SYE, stock front shaft from an auto XJ (matches my front) and I have a D35. I have a reasonably stiff rear spring pack (stock with several extra leaves) and stock shackle for a total of 4.5" of lift.

My rear shaft is just barely showing the splines and so far has held up with plenty of flex in the rocks and several trail rides.

I also added a 1.5" longer shackle for a total of a 6" lift. The length of the shaft seems to be identical and at full droop (keep in mind my limited flex) the shaft does not seem to get any longer.

Not trying to say that this common mod for other rear axles will work, but just wanting to let others know that it has worked for me so far:)

Michael

I used the PORC SYE and a front DS from an AW4 equipped XJ and my 35 as well, for a little while. I noticed that the slip joint splines were nearly maxed out at static ride height (RE 3.5" + RR 1.5 shackle) and when flexxed it looked (notice I said looked) ready to rip off. I had a D44 going thru rebuild for a transplant so I just rode for the week in that state.

I don't DD the rig so it was probably 15 miles total (around town errand runs) in that configuratin but I didn't feel comfortable running that way. Everyone has their own comfort level, that setup was stretching mine.

I hope you have good luck with your setup.

Rich

non-stick, so you're saying that you're at 5" in the rear with a PORC SYE, front XJ shaft, and a D44 and things are all good??

Just threw a D44 in my XJ and really need to SYE and fix my sagging 3" lift up to about 4" or so. I DD....

Back