• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket sunroof question?

Wilbur

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 two door cherokee and the previous owner installed one of those cheap looking little flip up moonroofs, it doesnt leak or anything, but I think it looks out of place.

Anyway I'd rather the jeep not have it at all, but since someone has already taken the time to cut a hole in the roof I was thinking maybe I could replace the weird moonroof with a nicer aftermarket sunroof.

Anybody recommend any brands or styles or places to buy one of these units? I'm sorta having trouble finding information on them.

thanks,
Will

The previous owner put a sunroof in from ASC(american sunroof company). It is starting to rattle a little bit only when it rains and it still seals good. It has also been in for almost ten years

:sunshine: :sunshine: an aftermarket sunroof on an xj is a pita due to the ribs on the roof. your best option is to locate a rig with the factory moonroof in a wrecking yard & swap it in.these pop up on the rear edge or slide back[power, by the way]they are a lot of work, but not complicated to install. we were going to install one of these in my sons' xj but luckily for me he lost interest. are you sure this isn't what you have? Every aftermarket roof I've ever seen is caulked between the ribs. the factory roofs have a rim that is stamped to fit around the ribs & that gives them an aftermarket appearance. I don't believe they have a dedicated roof panel[ I'm just making an educated guess on this]. look for a switch, it'll be on the overhead console if you have one, otherwise on the dash panel.

regarding my earlier post;were these factory style moonroofs installed by A.S.C.? I know they arrived at the dealerships that way, but as I mentioned they appear aftermarket.just curious.my earlier opinion still stands.

well then hunt one of the factory units down & check it out. like I said their not complicated to install, just a bunch of work.they are fairly common up here in the pnw ,which means they should be even more common in places that actually have year round sun.

Back