• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blinking check engine light

gunner357

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. New to Naxja. I have a 2001 XJ. 3" RC lift. Lately my check engine light has started to come on and periodically blinks. When it blinks my jeep idles very rough and does not accelerate well. The entire jeep shakes if I'm going above 30 mph or so. Anyone seen this before?

Forgot to add that I tried the 'hold trip reset and turn key trick'. The jeep runs through a self test, but shows no codes afterwards.

just stop by Autozone or O'Reillys and use their free scanners. Chances are it is one of the O2 sensors from what your describing.

I had the same exact thing happen with my 98 F-150. I had a spark plug back out of the hole because it was stripped and it caused the engine to run and idle rough. The CE light would blink too.

Another time I experienced about the same thing was with a Mazda Miata where the spark plug wire insulation was worn thin in one spot and it was gapping to the engine block at high RPMs.

ok. I just changed the plugs. Thought it may be an 02 sensor or possible plugged catilytic converter. My jeep has 53,000 miles on it.

Oh, I think you should check to make sure you put the right wire to the right plug. Either that or you need to push hard on the spark plug wire ends to make sure they are snapped down on the spark plug all the way. If you can't tell you could pull the wire off the plug and reconnect it to check to see if it snaps on the plug. I bet that is why it is running funny. Either the plug wires are connected wrong, or one wire isn't connected to the plug and making that cylinder not fire.

Did you replace one spark plug at a time, or did you pull them all out and then put all new ones in? If you did it all at once it could be easy to get the wires all mixed up!

There are no wires. The spark plugs in my jeep have a cover over them. Pop it off, unscrew plugs and replace (one at a time), replace cover. I think I'm going to have to get the codes from a scanner. Hate to see what the dealer comes back with.

i wouldn't go to a stealership!
just get it scanned at your local parts store and post up the codes you found...
there's plenty of help and great info on this site...

I had this same problem on my '01 TJ. It is most likely a recurring cylinder misfire like someonelse stated. It seemed to happen at least once a year for me from 30K miles until I sold it at 90K.

Changing the plugs seemed to help the problem temporarily, and the dealership was worthless. I'm not saying it is right, but I learned to live with it. I just assumed mine was a lemon because it had a new shortblock and transmission replaced under warranty by 36K.

gunner357 said:
Hi. New to Naxja. I have a 2001 XJ. 3" RC lift. Lately my check engine light has started to come on and periodically blinks. When it blinks my jeep idles very rough and does not accelerate well. The entire jeep shakes if I'm going above 30 mph or so. Anyone seen this before?

So, does this occur regardless of the engine temp or does it occur after a hot soak?

Light stays on hot or cold. Today I drove to work and light started to blink. Then it started to "miss" if I hit the gas harder. Going to attempt to get to Autozone this afternoon to see if they can help with codes. I really hope this is nothing major, I am in love with my jeep. I'm nervous to keep driving it like this, but it is my dd. Autozone is 30 miles away for me. Will post what they come up with later on. Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited:
If the light stays on take it and have it scanned or go buy a scanner for about $100 or so, handy item. From the FSM 'If the CEL light blinks do not operate the vehicle or permanent damage will result'.... My 98 blinked on a trip and I lost the engine from #3 injector being stuck open which washed the cylinder down and yes it idled badly.

gunner357 said:

Yes.

When the OBD-II computer senses a missfire, too many missfires in 200 firings of a cylinder, it will turn off the fuel injector to that cylinder, causing a noticable engine miss and horrible engine idle miss!!!! It shuts of the fuel injector to avoid damaging the cat converter with too much fuel, unburned fuel from a miss firing cylinder. (or tires to anyway, if it is stuck open, as RichP mentioned with his the computer could not unstick it, and there went the rings and cylinder wall, trashed),

The flashing CEL indicates a "catalyst-damaging misfire" which means, if you keep driving it like that you will have to replace your catalytic converter... And that's big money! BTW, for those that don't know, the 2001 has a single coil pack that covers all cylinders (no plug wires), it's about a $300 part, ask me how I know...

RichP said:
.... My 98 blinked on a trip and I lost the engine from #3 injector being stuck open which washed the cylinder down and yes it idled badly.

So the moral of this story is to top off your BLINKER fluid before taking a long trip right?
:laugh3:

Well....went to Autozone. Had scan the computer. Came back with two issues. P0203 and P0303. In other words, misfire in cylinder #3. Tested the #3 injector with a light bulb. I was advised to run some injector cleaner which I am (Seafoam). I left Autozone and the light came back on. Nasty ride and idle. I pulled over and removed the cover for the spark plugs and ensured that everything was in correctly. Reattached the cover, reset the computer with the negative battery cable. Right now the light is off and it remained off for the 30 mile trip home. Idling and driving perfectly. I have a feeling that my yellow visitor will be back. Any suggestions for when this happens?

Step one, go buy or borrow a compression tester gauge assy.

Check compression on all cylinders.

Post the data here for analysis.

IF compression is good, say 120 to 150 per cylinder, and less than 20 psi difference between any two in the firing sequence, then you may have a bad, new, spark plug or bad wire/coilpack.....or a bad #3 leaking, or sticking partly plugging, fuel injector or fuel injector wiring problem on #3. Or several of these problems all at once.
If compressions is low in #3, then it may be a valve leak problem, head gasket leak problem, or cylinder wear problem caused by a leaking fuel injector.

Since it ran OK for 30 miles it may not be a major overhaul problem yet.

gunner357 said:
Well....went to Autozone. Had scan the computer. Came back with two issues. P0203 and P0303. In other words, misfire in cylinder #3. Tested the #3 injector with a light bulb. I was advised to run some injector cleaner which I am (Seafoam). I left Autozone and the light came back on. Nasty ride and idle. I pulled over and removed the cover for the spark plugs and ensured that everything was in correctly. Reattached the cover, reset the computer with the negative battery cable. Right now the light is off and it remained off for the 30 mile trip home. Idling and driving perfectly. I have a feeling that my yellow visitor will be back. Any suggestions for when this happens?

I would be aware that this indicates too much fuel is going burnt-I chose to ignore this in my old POS Regal and cat exploded. Not kidding.

Edit: Compression problems aren't intermittent.

Back