• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crane D44 Housing worth it?

jester1084

NAXJA Member #1189
I starting to look at building a 44 front for myself and I'm just looking around at the various housing assemblies I can buy. I ran across the Crane Commerce one and it looks pretty impressive but is it worth the cost? Has anyone had any experience with them? Or any input on what outher housings are good? IF I can afford it I want to try to go new instead of junkyard which is why I'm looking at this one. Thanks.

Mike

Missing link, Couldn't find the crane housing.
I went to Sam's Off Road for my front 44. My rear 44 is from an 86 XJ and has worked fine. (till I put on the 38's that is).
The nice thing about going to SAM's was:
New parts.
couple hour total install time
Custom width
Stronger brackets
GM Brakes and Ford Hubs. standard replacement parts like Bearings, brakes
True High Steer
excellent base to build from. (I have added ram assist and a couple other things)
Very affordable.

I was on the phone with Chris Crane the other day about those.
One of the test units burned up the outer pinion bearing wo they are pulling the diff apart to inspect it and figure out why. all the oiling is the same as a ford D44. Its a bitchen unit but is gonna be a little bit before he releases them. Yes i am waiting for that phone call cuz I have to replace the center chunk on a front 44 that came back.

Yeah, I was looking at sams too but I like the idea of the crane's high clearnace (though I guess realistically you aren't gaining a ton). All I really need though is the housing and the rest I'll be putting together/building myself. And here's the link, forgot about that.
Crane D-44 Axle Assembly
Crane D-44 Housing

Mike

BrettM said:
if you're going with a custom center, why not a 9"?
I've thought about that too. But I'm only figuring on going up to 35's most and a 9" seems like overkill. However, I might look into that for a rear axle. Also, from what I've read it seems like a 44 would be a little easier for me to build. Besides currie where can you get a 9" housing too? In the end though because of cost I'll probably just go with a standard housing assembly, I'm really just curious if something like the crane would be worth it.

XJ_ranger said:
the main problem with all the custom housings is that you either have to spend about 1500 for a Hi pinion centersection or go cheap and use a low pinion, but then the question becomes - why bother?
Yeah, I know what you mean about cost. I forgot about the spidertrax housing 'cause I looked that one up too. And that one doesn't seem like too bad of a price. I'm looking for something that will take a beating and then still get me home. And D-60 type material I feel is way overkill for 35's (not to speak of much harder to fit as I don't want to do full-width). And as for the toyotas, I just haven't read as much so don;t know a whole lot about them.

Last edited:
spidertrax 9" with thier new knuckles and a tru hi nine 3rd and 300m ctm shafts.....thats my dream axle for the moment.

xXJx said:
spidertrax 9" with thier new knuckles and a tru hi nine 3rd and 300m ctm shafts.....thats my dream axle for the moment.
for 37-40s, yes, except I'd go with the Longfield CVs

for 33-37s a custom Toyota housing from Diamond with 30 spline 300m longfields would be sweet

BrettM said:
for 33-37s a custom Toyota housing from Diamond with 30 spline 300m longfields would be sweet

Like I said I haven't read too much on the Toy 8's so I don't know too much about them. How are they on build cost? Similar to a 44? Because if they are I might do a little more research on them then too.

Mike

You can get a Toyota high-pinion third member with a e-locker, with 4.10's from a dealer for about $900. Marlin Crawler has same for $950, or with 4.88's or 5.29's for $1299. I've been thinking of doing this for the front. Thinking I may just pick up a used housing, and widen it. Either Toy knuckles and such, or maybe d44 or 60. Would go well with the Toy 8" that's going in the back soon.

bobb said:
Thinking I may just pick up a used housing, and widen it.

you know that all toy front housings are passenger front diff right? unless its a custom used housing... that was designed for a SAS into a taco...

BrettM said:
I'd be more concerned about widening the stamped steel housing than the few changes required to flip it
I have no fear of welding to sheetmetal... :D :D

though cutting and flipping the inner c's --- or whatever they are called on a kingpin toy 8 housing --- would worry me a little...

is there tube inside there that they are welded to? or are they welded to the formed piece?

at any rate - Yes I think the Crane housing would be totaly worth not messing with other peoples abused crap.
I broke 2 inner axle shafts before I realised that my housing was bent, and that cost me about $200 in shafts, $100 to get it straightened, and about a total of 4 weeks down time...
and now i no longer have a spare inner axle shaft...
I also have had to deal with some really weird crap with my front axle because it came from a yard, like about 8 hours of grinding, cutting, welding, cleaning, sanding and general maintance just to get it into the shape to start working with it...
When i build my next rig - the theme will be "I dont want it unless its brand new"

Last edited:
I wheel with yota guys all the time. 2 specificly one on 39.5 IROK's with 4340 shafts and longfield 300m birfs the other with stock shafts and longfields on 38's. 4:88 and 5:29 gears respectively, marlins basic yota stuff. No breaks out front do date. However. Both have broken 2 sets of rear r&p on V6 rear axles. Front range offroad also makes the 8" housing. In the front the strength is there. But you can break anything as a buddy did with longfeilds and 35's and Bobby wouldn't warrenty them.. For some reason. I didn;t ask too many questions cuz he was pissed.

XJ_ranger said:
When i build my next rig - the theme will be "I dont want it unless its brand new"

That's a big one I'm looking at too so I can definately agree with you there. I know it'll be a more expensive initial cost but if I build it right it should last and break less (or hopefully never). Also, was it you who make a post earlier this week in a different thread about the truhi9 and crane d-44 because you weren't happy with what you have now? Because that's where I got the idea to check out the crane assembly. Too bad you didn't make it to Carnagefest Opie, I could've talked to you about it there.

Mike

jester1084 said:
That's a big one I'm looking at too so I can definately agree with you there. I know it'll be a more expensive initial cost but if I build it right it should last and break less (or hopefully never). Also, was it you who make a post earlier this week in a different thread about the truhi9 and crane d-44 because you weren't happy with what you have now? Because that's where I got the idea to check out the crane assembly. Too bad you didn't make it to Carnagefest Opie, I could've talked to you about it there.

Mike

yes...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=854653&postcount=5

I hate the custom crap that my junk has become...

Back