• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's 4.5 W/ Leaf Replacement

SoreRunner

NAXJA Forum User
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RK-405SP-XJ&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

I am in the market for a lift in the next couple weeks. I have a bunch of options. I like the price of the Rusty's, but is this as good as it gets or is there better for 700 dollars? No pitman replacement in kit. Will I need one? Would you say yay or nay to sye in a 4.5 lift? Basically, lay it on me, questions, concerns, feed back. I don't want to get into a panty bunch and forget something. I want to make sure when I replace parts that I don't need to buy something else. There is so many ideas, versions, kits available that make this painful to comprehend.

One more questions, should I spend $1000's and get a long arm style or just stick with the norm and get a 3-6 inch lift?

All right I'll stop here for now.

By the way, thank you for any response!

Last edited:
About the only good thing you'll get out of that kit is the rear leaf springs....and even that is questionable, depending on who you talk to.

4.5" is where you have to start thinking about drop brackets or a long arm kit. Its kind of a grey area. Your steering will have to be addressed, but I wouldnt address it with just a DPA.

Depending on the year of your XJ and model of your transfer case, you may or may not "need" an SYE. I say "need" with quotes because, again, this is a matter of opinion - my personal opinion is that I'd do an SYE with ANY amount of lift. its just a better design...a TC drop is just a band aid and it puts more stress on other parts of your jeep (mainly, motor mounts) and robs you of ground clearance. It just seems counterproductive to me, ya know? "Ok, I'm gonna spend all this money to lift my jeep...but at the same time, I'm gonna lower my drivetrain". Yeah...ok.

Feel free to search away, there's plenty of info about the good/bad of Rusty's. Being in Oregon, you'll get a$$ raped on shipping from him (he's in Alabama and loves to charge out the ass for shipping). If I was looking to do a 4-6 inch kit, from scratch, I'd go something like this:

DPG Trailgunner coils and leafs (5")
Rock Krawler 3 link long arm upgrade
JKS Extended brake lines and swaybar disconnects
RE Heavy Duty track bar, bracket, and brace
JCR 1 ton steering (or WJ knuckle swap, or Tera knuckle swap - depends how much work you want to do)
Bilstein shocks

For a little extra lift, or to level things out, an ACOS and/or 1" boomerang shackle.

Brace your steering box (and the frame rail around the steering box - both sides)

I could ramble on and on....

ive read a lot of jnickel's posts in the past and he knows his stuff but tends to like the more expensive stuff. although that stuff is more expensive for a reason you can get by without some of it. if your looking for an entry level lift, that kit doesnt seem too bad. you can upgrade any parts that arent up to par in your opinion later and not be out too much money. Rough Country might be another option for you too.

:) yeah yeah....i just would rather save up and get quality stuff - but thats for a rig thats also a daily driver....

I forgot to ask what you will be using this for - daily driver? Trail rig only? Rocks, mud, fire roads...?

1989 Jeep Cherokee, Daily Driver. XJ is sitting at stock height w/ a little sag in rear with little or no weight in rear. While on trails with cb on, they call me lowrider. Are you catching the drift? I would like to go straight down a trail and not have to go back and forth to miss all the BIG stuff in the middle of the trail.

I'm the type of person who wants things done right from the beginning. I don't like to back pedal. Since this is a heavy subject, I felt it would be better to talk with you, being a little more experienced. My wife and kids still roll in the XJ, so I need to keep safety at hand. Nothing crazy, but still would like to be within my wifes budget.

Maybe something that is good for now, but I can build off of later. Remember no back pedaling!

i'm running the rusty's 4.5" kit. while i do like the springs i did have to replace many parts. track bar, control arms, brake lines etc.

if i were going to do it over again i would get the RE superflex kit (super ride if you don't need a ton of flex) with drop brackets or longarms. or i would get the TNT y-link kit. possibly even the rock krawler or clayton kits but i don't know much about them. better quality parts, more complete kits, less to upgrade later on. good luck!

the day Rusty's is as good as it gets, I'm burning my jeep.

:)

I am in the process of preparing to put this lift on my Jeep in August. I would say now after purchasing it(8months ago) that i kind of jumped the gun a little when i bought it. You get more for a little more money with the RE kit. For example: the RE kit comes with extended brake line (not drop brakets), Upper and Lower front control arms (not just lowers), GenII quick discos (not the cheap ass drop brackets), and just the quality of the rubicon express name. That is just my personal opinion.

I did the RE Extreme Duty 5.5" with drop brackets. Great lift everything was there. I also did the SYE and swapped in a D44 at the same time. Guys out here with Rusty's stuff end up replacing it when it breaks. Most the socal guys are on RE or have quite a few RE parts, which is why I went that way.

XJEvan said:
I am in the process of preparing to put this lift on my Jeep in August. I would say now after purchasing it(8months ago) that i kind of jumped the gun a little when i bought it. You get more for a little more money with the RE kit. For example: the RE kit comes with extended brake line (not drop brakets), Upper and Lower front control arms (not just lowers), GenII quick discos (not the cheap ass drop brackets), and just the quality of the rubicon express name. That is just my personal opinion.

Huh, cheap drop brackets? The DB's most RE guys refer to are the ones that lower the control arm body side mount 4" to keep the thing driving like a stocker. Yes, RE has really good quality, good stuff. I don't care what Cal says about the Gen II disconnects, mine haven't been an issue and are still on the Jeep. :)

Ain't had no problem with Rusty's 4.5 kit, but I ain't had no problem with my welded 35 neither.

Cox89XJ said:
Ain't had no problem with Rusty's 4.5 kit, but I ain't had no problem with my welded 35 neither.

Don’t you just love the word "Ain't". It sure is a great word, especially when someone uses it in a double negative just like when someone says “I ain't had no problem”.

Sorry im just messing with you, I know this isn’t pirate.

O, and Rusty's stuff is crap imho. I actually look at him as a “thief” from the quality in his products.:gag:

Check in the Vendors section in the forum and you will find a few vendors selling RE products. You can get the RE6130 4.5" lift for not much more then you will spend for a Rusty's 4.5" lift when you factor in shipping.

C85D4x4 said:
Don’t you just love the word "Ain't". It sure is a great word, especially when someone uses it in a double negative just like when someone says “I ain't had no problem”.

Sorry im just messing with you, I know this isn’t pirate.

O, and Rusty's stuff is crap imho. I actually look at him as a “thief” from the quality in his products.:gag:

I even used a triple negative in the last sentence. LOL
We hillbillys take great pride in our language heritage.

Cox89XJ said:
I even used a triple negative in the last sentence. LOL
We hillbillys take great pride in our language heritage.
Yessir. bout to get on down and check out that there xj, aint never heard bout no problems with that there rustys kit you got.:rattle:

Back