• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chopping XJ questions

tylerb

NAXJA Forum User
im about to chop the top off my 96 2 door, just wondering if it will stress the unibody until I cage it. anyone done this and wheeled it a little before the cage goes in?

tylerb said:
im about to chop the top off my 96 2 door, just wondering if it will stress the unibody until I cage it. anyone done this and wheeled it a little before the cage goes in?

You'll get more body flex than is desired. Being a 2dr, you'll get more stress and body flex, due to the longer back end. Cage it first, IMO.

100_5129.jpg

100_5155.jpg

Are you the Tyler in Knoxville that just got my old trail rig? If so, you will at least have to plate the "frame" rails. That unibody was tearing apart when I got rid of it a year ago.

If not, take a good look at the rails and body to make sure there is no unseen damage or bad rust that could weaken the overall structure of the vehicle.

My friend chopped his 2 door 96's last year. Just got a cage recently, but hasn't had it welded in yet. Nothing has been stressed, to the best of our knowledge. Although his floors were solid from the start.

l_8aad0fb9cf3dad2dbb37d25a0da271d7.jpg

hey its a MJ

You really should cage or brace it before wheeling it. There's a good chance that it'll fold like a taco.. and not like the good tacos from the guy at the corner with a taco stand and no teeth... ;)

If it doesn't fold, it'll twist & flex. It'll never be the same..

If you were a member, you could check out the Advanced Fab forum. There are a couple of chopped builds going on right now...
(Sometimes the $35 membership pays off in more ways than one.. ;) )

E

Like stated above, it will cause excess stress and weather or not your seeing it, it is happening. Just ask around to the guys that run w/o doors and over time their doors dont line up the same anymore. Anytime that you start cutting away parts of a unibody vehicle, you need to make sure that you go back in and re-support any weak areas. And as always, if you dont reinforce it it WILL FOLD LIKE A TACO :D

Jess said:
Are you the Tyler in Knoxville that just got my old trail rig? If so, you will at least have to plate the "frame" rails. That unibody was tearing apart when I got rid of it a year ago.

If not, take a good look at the rails and body to make sure there is no unseen damage or bad rust that could weaken the overall structure of the vehicle.

Yep im that Tyler, i cant find where the unibody is tearing.. ive looked all over the thing and its only beat up on one part of the rails.

I did mine.

CAGE it.

For saftey it not for flex.

flex it not as bad as you think, but it should be caged as it will flex more then desired. Just going down the road mine would "spring" a bit.

Rev

vetteboy said:
Definitely plate it at least. When I chopped mine I was pretty amazed at how flexible the rear deck was.
Rev Den said:
I did mine.

CAGE it.

For saftey it not for flex.

X2 on both accounts.

While I'm in the middle of the process, I was AMAZED at how much I could get the body to flex just cutting that section of roof out. Heck, then cut out the floor just for fun and see how much it really flexes.

Well I chopped it today.. took about 15 minutes But tomm i plan to plate the frame, then try out the new bender! heres a pic
Photo0619.jpg

tylerb said:
Well I chopped it today.. took about 15 minutes But tomm i plan to plate the frame, then try out the new bender! heres a pic
Photo0619.jpg

If you would have looked at the roof near the b-pillar, the whole top was bowed. IIRC the body was tearing somewhere near the driver door catch. Make sure and try to get the frame rails straight and a new crossmember put on before plating and caging.
You should post some pics of the crossmember that is on it now. I've got a straight stock crossmember I'll sell you cheap if you want it.

....and by the way, it is a 95 not a 96.

Back