• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rain gutter mounts

zcjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I moved my 85lb custom rack from my 89 to my 97 XJ. I used a custom mount on the old jeep and Con-Ferr rain gutter mounts (4 each side) on the 97. First day on the trail the rain gutter strip popped off. Added weight to the rack is the same 33" tire and Hi-Rack jack I carried for over 100k miles plus many 300+lbs safaris on the 89.

Anybody else having problems with this style mount? I'm going to have to take the rack back off and try and re-install and seal the gutter. I didn't use the stock roof rack rail-mounting as it looked weak for putting 300+lbs on.

Any ideas.

itll be fun getn the gutters back on, as for the factory rail mounting there are designed to hold a good 300lbs.. some mfrs go up to 500lbs for OME roof racks. i have had problems with the gutters on my 98.. 91 never a problem, maybe daimler-chrysler got cheap on us

I've had the front corner of my driver's side gutter rail pop off. I just crimped it on.

I suppose you can just remove the rail and clamp directly to the actual "gutter?"

I don't really know. I think the little rail that is over the rain gutter is more cosmetic than anything.

i just took a 500 mile trip to Lake Tahoe with a 100lb roof top ten hooked up to rain gutter towers (yakima brand). that's really scary to think about, especially if i happen to be sleeping in the tent while something like this happens. thanks for the info, i better go check on my gutters, and figure a back up in case mine do pop while i'm on a trip.

Back