• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H-lift across hood

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Saw the hi-lift mounted across the hood near the base of the windshield on a beater XJ in JP mag. Set mine across the hood to see what it looks like and it seems like a good idea.

Whats the consensus, pros, cons of mounting it there?

ive also done that and i think it looks damn good....does anyone have pics of this on their rigs? also, what about laws.....?

bluejeepkid said:
ive also done that and i think it looks damn good....does anyone have pics of this on their rigs? also, what about laws.....?

i must agree that it looks good, i was thinking about putting mine on the hood as well, but im putting in a cowl induction hood scoop this weekend so the hi lift has to stay on the roof rack. i have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for having a high lift on the hood, its no different than having a hood scoop, and those are legal.

thats true.....as for the cowl hood, i actually built custom spacers for my hood that raised the rear and it really does help

I'd be worried about it coming off in an accident.

haha 40 lb hi lift in the face............nice!

I know a few guys who have them mounted on brackets that mount right to the hinges of a TJ hood, and I doubt that they'd go anywhere in an accident...unless the hood was going there too. That being said, not sure how easy it would be to get the hi-lift mounted to an XJs hood solidly enough to stay put. With some backing plates on the underside I'm sure it could be done though....may be a good idea!! Easy access and out of the way.

Only drawbacks would be the rusty, sticky mechanism that comes with leaving your hi-lift outside, and maybe some funky wind noise.

I wouldn't leave it there for daily driving, just for trail runs. Seems that might eliminate all the cons so far listed: Rusty Hi-lift, dislodging in accident, etc.

Any trail cons to consider?

I am thinking some packing plates, maybe threaded tube spacers with rubber grommets and maybe an oversized wing nut type thing to hold it all in place.

id think if you got into a really rough trail just the bouncing and what not would make me a bit uneasy if i had a hi lift that close to my face. i like em in the back of the rig or on top.

but thats just me

Back