• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle swap coming up...what else?

Archdukeferdinand

NAXJA Forum User
So I recently found a set of 4.10 axles to swap for my hp30/8.25 combo that's geared 3.55 and I'm planning on just doing a straight axle swap then throwing my 29 spline shafts and zj discs on and calling it macaroni. Since I'll have the front end dropped from the vehicle I'm thinking of taking the opportunity to reinforce the frame a bit and stitch-weld the track bar bracket to the frame. I'm also thinking about doing bearings and trussing the axles, anything else I should look at or mods that are good to do while the axles aren't under a vehicle?

OTK steering conversion maybe.

Archdukeferdinand said:
So I recently found a set of 4.10 axles to swap for my hp30/8.25 combo that's geared 3.55 and I'm planning on just doing a straight axle swap then throwing my 29 spline shafts and zj discs on and calling it macaroni. Since I'll have the front end dropped from the vehicle I'm thinking of taking the opportunity to reinforce the frame a bit and stitch-weld the track bar bracket to the frame. I'm also thinking about doing bearings and trussing the axles, anything else I should look at or mods that are good to do while the axles aren't under a vehicle?

Are you putting 29 spline shafts into a 27 spline carrier?

Jess said:
Are you putting 29 spline shafts into a 27 spline carrier?

That depends... Am I not going to want to?

I've never done any gear work and I'd "heard" of other people upgrading 27 spline axles by putting in 29 spline shafts. Are carriers spline count specific?

There's no carrier break in the 8.25, right? So I guess I could use the carrier from my 3.55 29 spline eh? I guess I could do the same again for the spiders if that's necessary or is this hopeless?

Thanks for pointing that out. I've got a little while till the axles get here so this is the kind of info I really need.

I guess swapping the carrier & side gears would make it about the same effort as re-gearing?

youll have to change the carrier in the 8.25 if you plan on using the 29spline shafts instead of the 27...shafts are bigger so they will not directly go in which means youll need to redo your rear diff by setting the gears up again

Superior axle tube seals on the D30. Very good for keeping junk out of the axle tubes, including water.

Back