• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

align me on adjustable control arms

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
The situation is this: my bumpstop plates are angled with the flat face tilted back on an out of the box 4.5RE lift. The springs bow forward and the rear of the spring rubs the extended bumpstop. I have adjustable lowers sitting in a box, but the fixed lowers that came with thkit are on it now if I jack everything up and start playing around with the length will I just wind up screwing everything up? Will it need an alignment? best way to eyeball it? Will adjusting from the lowers do anything at all for this issue, or will I simply succede in moving the axel back. to me it looks like they need to be shorter, and on my last alignment the shop adjusted the lowers in the shims all the way back in the brackets, but I guess it wasn't enough...What is the best way to go about this whole thing to avoid a 5 hour long trial and error session of taking wheels on and off and off and on etc etc.
Thanks

Last edited:
you actually need A. uca for that

if you use the adj lca and shorten them it will rotate the axle counter-clockwise - thus leveling the bumpstop plate. if you use adj uca you can do the same. id check wheel base measurements to ensure the axle is sitting properly under the jeep. or call the guys at rubicon express- they're actually pretty helpful

well it would seem to me that longer uppers or shorter lowers would provide the desired outcome, I can't futz around with it too much this season, its the DD and I have school and vacation destinations to drive to...I can't risk upsetting the gf, shes already mad that shes too short to get into it... I just wanted to check on the validity of my solution before I went touching something and putting my jeep out of service for a week.

anyone have suggestions on the best way to go about this as far as manipulating the axel into position with the lca's disconnected? could I leave the tires on and just do them one at a time...thoughts?
thanks

at the risk of sounding like a jerk, why would you think you need to take the tires off to adjust control arms? do you understand what caster and pinion angles are?

no, not adjust, replace...

ok I just went under there again and it now (3 months later) looks like it is rotated forward...and the UCA bushings at the unibody side have elongated. perhaps new busings would do the trick...this lift has 10k miles on it... the axle position in general looks bad, it appears to sit forward of where it should in relation to the upper bumpstop, everything was fine when this went together and nothing is loose....odd

well then, I ordered adjustable uppers with the superflex rotating joints instead of the bushings, guess I'll have the alignment shop do the install...

EMSJEEP said:
well then, I ordered adjustable uppers with the superflex rotating joints instead of the bushings, guess I'll have the alignment shop do the install...

Don't waste your money by getting them to install them. Arms are a piece of cake. Just install them yourself, align it up the best you can by eye and then take it up there for the alignment.

Back