• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for Buying a Used Winch

AlabamaDan

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm looking for a good used winch and could use some tips on what to look for and how to test. I've searched here, but didn't find such a thread. I'm sure this will be helpful to myself and others along the way.

I've found one winch, unknown brand, on a XJ for sale. The guy said that he would be willing to sell it if I take it off, but it has electrical problems. No telling what the problems are, could be a loose cable or could be something more serious. He didn't sound very knowledgeable. What should I look for?

The other one is a RAMSEY PRO PLUS 8000LB WINCH, WARN SNATCH BLOCK AND TREE SAVER. Guy said it works great, looks great and the remote works great. He's asking $350.

I know to look it over cosmetically and check the cable for rust, kinks, etc. Other than that I'm clueless.

Thanks,

no love? Ok, I'm close but in unfamiliar territory. Guy down the street is selling his xj and said for me to make an offer on the Ramey 8000 winch. Looks good, but a little old. Don't know if it works yet, but how much is something like that worth? How should I test it?

easiest way to test is to actually run it. if it is still installed pull the jeep towards a tree or another vehicle if not then you just need to see that it does do something and make a judgment call

Winches hold their value pretty well if they are taken care of and kept with a good cable. if you like the winch then offer what you feel is fair

Back