• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric fan, air/heat control question

ehanvey

NAXJA Forum User
My control only works on high for AC/Heat. 2000 XJ, 4.0, auto, 4X4. I thought I readf somewhere that was a bad relay/fuse?

My electric fan grinds when the temp goes over 210, bearing? How costly/difficult to replace?

A new/used elec. fan will cost about $40 bucks on ebay and even less at the boneyard. Hook it direct to the battery to see if it works at at all, next step, check the relay that kicks it on during A/C or defrost mode.

Alternately, wire a switch to the elec. fan to turn it on at your discretion, like so:

http://www.olypen.com/craigh/auxfan.htm

Cost to you DIY = cost of the fan and 20 minute of your busy schedule.

Electric fan works, kicks on as soon as the temp gauge reads 210 degrees. Problem is, when it's on it makes a loud/grinding noise. Like the bearing or fan is loose/worn.

(Entirely separate issue) When I turn on my heat or air, my fan control only works on high (4). Settings 1, 2, and 3 don't work. Blown fuse/relay?

Thanks for the input.

ehanvey said:
Electric fan works, kicks on as soon as the temp gauge reads 210 degrees. Problem is, when it's on it makes a loud/grinding noise. Like the bearing or fan is loose/worn.

(Entirely separate issue) When I turn on my heat or air, my fan control only works on high (4). Settings 1, 2, and 3 don't work. Blown fuse/relay?

Thanks for the input.

Could be the fan speed selector switch is bad, or the resistor pack which is mounted under the dash on the passenger side on the front of the AC/Heater box.

Could be the fan speed selector switch is bad, or the resistor pack which is mounted under the dash on the passenger side on the front of the AC/Heater box.

where on the 2000??

Back