• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the heck is this?

bigalpha

And what does it do? Keyless entry? Alarm (I have the speaker in the engine bay, but the wire is frayed. Plus, I have no idea how it works).

edit - picture didn't work.

link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigalpha/2600830260/

Does it do any thing else besides control the door locks?

Is the alarm system tied into this keyless entry at all?

Where can I get a keyfob?

Keyfobs are going to cost you dearly if you can still find them at all. Might be time to install a quality alarm that you know the history of.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
Keyfobs are going to cost you dearly if you can still find them at all. Might be time to install a quality alarm that you know the history of.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

(+1) Yep!! Or even better, get yourself an alarm/remote un-lock combo unit. :clap:

:cheers:

Well dern. What type of remote does the factory system use? I'll look around and see what I can find.

I probably won't carry around the keyfob anyways. Too big. Too much stuff to cram into my pocket.

I just didn't know what the heck it was.

It's an infrared system IIRC, with about as much range as...your window glass. I don't recall hearing anyone who actually has used and who is able to unlock from more than a few feet away. By that point, since you already have the keys and fob in your hand, you may as well just unlock the door anyway.

Jim

Haha. Well, then I won't worry about it then. Does it run with it's own fuse? Is the remote entry and alarm system together as one package if it's from the factory?

bigalpha said:
Haha. Well, then I won't worry about it then. Does it run with it's own fuse? Is the remote entry and alarm system together as one package if it's from the factory?

There is no alram in conjunction with this keyless entry from the factory. Unless specially ordered, I don't believe factory alarms came in XJs until 1998. I have a 97 XJ Country fully loaded with almost every option except for leather seats and driver power seat it even has the ultra rare UpCountry suspesion package, and mine didn't even come with a factory alarm it does have factory keyless entry. I went and put the $500 dollar Viper 791XV 2 way remote alarm/keyless entry/remote start and it was worth every penny and has saved my jeep from getting broken in many times.

Hum. Then it musta been an aftermarket alarm. I'll need to trace the wires back through the firewall and see what I can find. There's this tiny little red button mounted by the fusebox that's not connected to anything. That, and a small LED mounted by the light control knob.

The sensor in the picture is the factory Keyless receiver. Although, I have never seen one with a button and a light, so that may be the aftertmarket part of the install.....

Yucca-Man said:
It's an infrared system IIRC, with about as much range as...your window glass. I don't recall hearing anyone who actually has used and who is able to unlock from more than a few feet away. By that point, since you already have the keys and fob in your hand, you may as well just unlock the door anyway.

Jim

Correct - they changed to RF (radio) somewhere in mid-92, but my '92 also has the IR.

When I bought my XJ, the circuit board in the factory remote was disintegrating. I replaced it with a unit from Piland Electronics (www.thejeep.com/piland.html) that has worked very well for the last 8 or so years. My only complaint (besides the lousy range you mention, which I don't much mind - it's still easier than sticking the key in the lock and trying to remember which way to turn it) is that the Piland remote's keyring loop eventually breaks off. I plan to see if I can improvise a new attachment ring. If that works, I'll keep using it until it dies, and then maybe put in a cheap JCWhitney system or something.

Rob

Haha. This system doesn't sound very high-tech. My 97 Subaru keyless entry works from faaar away.

I think i might look around and see if I can find something new. I like the keyless entry.

I quit carrying the fob for my 94 because of how crappy it was.

I also ended up pulling the thing out when I changed headliners.

If you want the fob I'll send it to you, just don't try to steal my Jeep.

I quit carrying the fob for my 94 because of how crappy it was.

I also ended up pulling the thing out when I changed headliners.

If you want the fob I'll send it to you, just don't try to steal my Jeep.

Nice necro John!

But I agree, IR keyless entry blows, I have it in my '96 and will be going RF (keyless entry/remote start module).

Back