• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has a Tuffy drawer in the back of their XJ?

I have a homemade version that I built out of wood for about $100.00.It's cheaper and bigger than a tuffy.It holds all my tools,gear and spares.Let me know if you want to see pics. or want more info.

I looked at them but man they cost. I'm not saying they aren't worth it, just too rich for my blood.
Besides, like jeepdeepfreak said, I can build my own that fits MY needs exactly for a whole lot less.

HTH

jeepdeepfreak said:
I have a homemade version that I built out of wood for about $100.00.It's cheaper and bigger than a tuffy.It holds all my tools,gear and spares.Let me know if you want to see pics. or want more info.

I would like some pics pm me if you get a chance

I use a big black plastic truck work box ( made by contico I believe) fits perfect and is level with the top of the seat
fits between the tie down points on the floor
Got it at lowes for $45 works great I can get all my tools recov gear and spare parts in there
I just strap it down on the trail it is lockable as well
I pull it out camping and sit on it cook on it work on it etc.
it is rain proof

I made a box with the help of my wood working sauve dad. I love it. 3 drawers with a pull out table under the box for lunch or for working on whatever on the trail.

Last edited:
jeepdeepfreak said:

Actually, if you still have them, how about measurements and notes? And, did you set it up with the backseat in usable position, or in "cargo mode" (where mine usually is...)

I've been kicking around that sort of idea for a while, and I just haven't gotten around to it yet...

5-90

Red97XJ said:
I made a box with the help of my wood working sauve dad. I love it. 3 drawers with a pull out table under the box for lunch or for working on whatever on the trail.

I'd like to see pictures of this. That sounds like what I want.

I've got a homemade box myself. Works fantastic. I had the wood cut by a shop and yes, I actually have the measurements that I can cut and paste. I'll post pics tomorrow, but I love mine and wouldn't change a thing. So basically, this post is worthless without pics! Tomorrow though....

Chris

I'm also interested in these pics guys...get them up.

I want to do a storage system and rather not spend the money on a Tuffy.

Ideally i want a design that incorporates storage comp for tools,spares etc. Slide out mount for an Engel 45 fridge at one of the rear doors, and some type of pullout table at the rear for kitchen setup.

Okey dokey, here's mine. I've got it set up as a hinge opening about halfway, so it's easy to get to anything I need in there, even stuff in the back. I pack it so that stuff I use rarely (battery charger, jack stands, 2 ton jack) and everyday stuff (sockets, screwdrivers etc) are right up front. Also, I've got just enough spacing between the back seat and the box that I can fit a pipe wrench, torque wrench, and hammer etc between the seat to keep them secure. Back seat still goes up just fine.

The other main thing is I made one side removable, the side facing the hatch. If I ever have a bunch of stuff piled on top of my box, spare tire or otehr tools, or just baggage, I can still easily unscrew that panel and still reach in and get to stuff. I drove cross country a few months ago and loaded up the entire cargo area, but I can still get to any tools I needed to pretty easily. When that panel is secured, it's a fully enclosed box. I added latches on the top as well so I could securely lock it during heavy or tipsy wheeling.

For the outside, I used some rubber flooring from Lowe's (about 18 feet or so), glued it on with Gorilla Snot, then stapled the corners down with some heavy duty staples. Works great, keeps stuff dry and I can wipe it down easily if it gets muddy, and if I ever do need to replace it, it's real cheap.

To firmly secure the box, I drilled a hole in the side of the box, stuck a bolt through it, and used the cargo tie down latches in the XJ to secure it. Again, in the worst case scenario of a rollover or a crash, my box wouldn't go flying around. It's bolted in place in 4 corners.

1) Here's the overall design
CIMG1639.jpg

2) Here's it open, hinged.
CIMG1640.jpg

3) To make the panel removeable, I hammered in some double sided screws ( I guess that's what they're called) and used wing nuts and a washer to secure it. To take off that panel literally takes about 20 seconds.
CIMG1641.jpg

4) Panel removed. You can see that if I had a bunch of junk piled on top, I can still reach in and get whatever I need.

CIMG1642.jpg

5) The hinge I used. Standard home decor style I guess.

CIMG1643.jpg

6) bolts that secure the box in place.
CIMG1644.jpg

CIMG1645.jpg

7) Got enough room to fit a torque wrench and hammer etc. It's only halfway in just to demonstrate. doesn't interfere with teh back seat at all.

CIMG1647.jpg

8) The finished product.
CIMG1646.jpg

here are the dimensions I had cut for me.

Support Pieces
-Back Panel- 1 Piece of wood, 41" long x 7" high x 1" wide
-Side Panels- 2 pieces of wood- 27" long x 7" high x 1" wide
- Support piece for lid- 2 pieces of wood- 27" long x 1/2" wide

Top Pieces
- Main top panel is shaped like a "C"
- 14" x 39" x 1/2" thickness

I realize these aren't real descriptive, but these are my notes from about a year ago, so it's all I got.

hope that helps

Chris

Last edited:
I built this one a few years back; looks like the Mk II is going to be built this winter as I don't have a small spare anymore and can use a storage bin in that place as well. There's a hinged panel on the back that allows me to open it and get to the interior when the top is loaded down.

http://yuccaman.com/jeep/storage.html

feb24_01.jpg

MrMom said:
I use a big black plastic truck work box ( made by contico I believe) fits perfect and is level with the top of the seat
fits between the tie down points on the floor
Got it at lowes for $45 works great I can get all my tools recov gear and spare parts in there
I just strap it down on the trail it is lockable as well
I pull it out camping and sit on it cook on it work on it etc.
it is rain proof
got a link? (i'm not sure how complete Lowe's website's listing is, but if they do and you wanna search for it) :)

That sounds like exactly what i'm looking for.

Back