• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

self tapping / self threading bolts.

Tripower389

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

i ran a search on self tapping / self threading bolts i was wondering who has had good experiences and who has had bad experiences.

I am looking on using 2 self threading bolts to hold my factory style skid plate on under my 93 jeep. The other option i hsave is to use some of those nutsers. Just trying to get an idea of what i can expect.

jason

I used self tapping 3/8 bolts for my rock sliders. they have been on for over a year with several real hard hits on em. They are all holding up well.
Although 1 out of every 4 or 5 didn't work. So buy some extras!:thumbup:

Drill the proper sized holes for the self tappers. DO NOT over-torque the the bolts or they will pull out and make the drilled holes oversize.

I use some self tappers that have a drill bit point, so no pilot hole is required. They work great and I have not had any problems with them. I use a right-angle drill with a socket bit and am able to put these into areas I cannot get a bit to drill a hole.

Ok,

Good to hear i am looking at getting some 3/8 or 5/16 sized ones for the skid plate. if i am drilling for a 3/8 size self tapper i need a 11/32 bit. DOES anyone know what size bit i need for the 5/16 size bolt?

Also is there any reccomended torque for them ?

jason

I have found it much easier to buy a small tap and die set with the proper sized drill bits, than waste time searching for and installing self tapping bolts. Plus you can always use the set to clean up existing bolts or threads.
My first rails used self tappers, they sucked.
Just $.02.

Ronbo said:
I have found it much easier to buy a small tap and die set with the proper sized drill bits, than waste time searching for and installing self tapping bolts. Plus you can always use the set to clean up existing bolts or threads.
My first rails used self tappers, they sucked.
Just $.02.

Does that hold as well? Self tapping screws have larger threads to grip the thin sheet better, right?

Back