• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just a slight whistle....

poorboy_616

NAXJA Forum User
S-O-B!! I was hoping it was something else, but it's not...

I discovered a couple cracks in my exhuast manifold....

It's had the noise since I bought my '87 2dr in March this year, I just haven't really looked into it until now. The clamp at the back off the cat (where it connects to the Borla exaust) was loose, tightening that didn't help, so I grabbed a mirror and discovered that it is cracked at the joints where the tubes connect......

Looks like I will doing more than motor mounts when I get the money...

I guess that would be a good time to put in the flex joint too....

I have searched and want opinions on how horrid this will be to change, some say it's easy, some say it's biatch....

no welder here.....

I will be changing it soon, but need the money first.....

I was just hoping it wasn't the manifold (complicated) but a loose clamp (simple)....

"Difficulty" factor depends on too many things. What's easy for you many not be for someone else. Tools, skills and experience go a long way to making things easier. Condition of your vehicle affects it too.

Mine's an '88. I did my exh manifold and the manifold gasket a second time recently. Everything came right out, no stuck bolts. I have a ton of wobble extensions as well to get to the lower manifold bolts. Even my EGR tube came right off. So mine was relatively easy.

I replaced the manifold. Got an OEM replacement one for about $125.

I am ASE certififed (P2) but I also have a great number of of years in experience working on vehicles, so it shouldn't be too bad for me...

Witht he exception of a badly injured Left shoulder (surgery will fic, but no insurance so that option is on hold), so that makes things a pain (literally).....

I will be doing the manifold replacement when I do the motor and trans mounts (yes, my trans mount is roached)......

If I have the money at that time, I will also put on the lift then too.....

With that background, you should have no problem (except with the shoulder). Mine was knees. :(

I'd change the Coolant Temp Sensor as well if you haven't already since it's right here when you have the manifolds off.

By "warm" do you mean not fully hot yet? If so, does it smooth out when it get up to full temp?

It never idles smoothly, it always has a little "lope" to it even when it's bun run for several hours, it still runs wierd.....

Once I started reading about everyone elses issues with CTS's, I put two and two together and figured it out.....

My AIC is clean and moving fine, my TB is clean and the TPS is A-Okay.....

I have either perfect "lopey" idle or high "not-so lopey" idle. I checked for vacuum leaks and can't find any, so it's got to be the CTS......

Back