• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare Tire Holder

Kyle Petterson

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, first off, I wouldn't really call it "modified tech" but it's certainly not "advanced", so here you go.

I was sick of wasting my tie-downs holding my oversized spare in place, plus they took up room in the hatch. So I decided to get rid of the tie downs and replace them with a spare tire holder from a Wrangler. Used, it cost me next to nothing, and I simply dropped the gas tank, drilled, bolted it to the floor, then put everything back. I love it, it holds the spare in place but leaves more room and it doesn't waste my tie-downs.

CIMG1400.jpg

CIMG1398.jpg

Not the best pictures, but you get the idea. Anyways, feel free to make fun of it, but it works for me.

Why make fun of it? Looks good. How about getting a tire cover to hold all the spare stuff in center of the rim?

To go a little further with the tire cover idea: Cut a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" plywood about 2" smaller then the diameter then the tire. Set it on top of the tire, then put a cover over it to hold it in place. Then you can stack trail gear, coolers, etc on top of it.

x3. I havent bothered tying mine down (I know, bad idea) because I didnt feel like dealing with those little tie down tabs. This looks like a great idea to me. Plus, it seems like you could wrap some things around the post under the tire and clear up even more room.
A+

I'd rather see a spare secured in back than not, just be carefull where you drill holes... the gas tank is not too far below all that.

I made a rack to secure things to out of a sturdy metal material called 'super strut', used in construction. Available at major hardware stores in 10' lengths, at less than two bucks a foot, it's worth the money and you can cut it to whatever length you want.

Kyle Petterson said:
Alright, first off, I wouldn't really call it "modified tech" but it's certainly not "advanced", so here you go.

I was sick of wasting my tie-downs holding my oversized spare in place, plus they took up room in the hatch. So I decided to get rid of the tie downs and replace them with a spare tire holder from a Wrangler. Used, it cost me next to nothing, and I simply dropped the gas tank, drilled, bolted it to the floor, then put everything back. I love it, it holds the spare in place but leaves more room and it doesn't waste my tie-downs.
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii240/kylemorganpetterson/CIMG1400.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii240/kylemorganpetterson/CIMG1398.jpg
Not the best pictures, but you get the idea. Anyways, feel free to make fun of it, but it works for me.
Could you possibly get some more pics of that setup, please? Maybe one looking into the open hatch to show how much clearance is under the tire, and then maybe one of the tire removed with just the carrier bolted down?

TIA

I love surfing NAXJA...
i'm always amazed by how many people just look at the pictures though.
"and I simply dropped the gas tank, drilled, bolted it to the floor, then put everything back."
reply " be carefull where you drill holes... the gas tank is not too far below all that."
sorry... great day and i'm still laughing about it... it always amazes me...
have an awesome night everyone... nice setup, Kyle.

Could you possibly get some more pics of that setup, please? Maybe one looking into the open hatch to show how much clearance is under the tire, and then maybe one of the tire removed with just the carrier bolted down?

I will take some pics in the next couple days and post them up.

im just curious, what size tire is that?

31x10.50R15

But what happens if you go to a larger diameter tire?

I probably will sell my Jeep before I do too many more changes to it. That being said, patching the holes would be cake.

Back