• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

howling noise when xj sits all night

steel58ers

NAXJA Forum User
Lately when I start up in the morning and head to work, I get a howling noise in the area of the tranny /transfer case. It sounds like that area from inside the vehicle and it only last for a few seconds and is gone by the time I move 10 feet down the road. It seems like its only when it sits all night and I head out in the morning. I know its tough to pin point but is there anything I should check or keep an eye on ? I have a 1 inch transfer drop on my lift that is coming off in 2 weeks for a hackntap and cv driveshaft. Could that be the problem u joints ?

I did a search but must guys have a howl while driving down the road from there diffs.

Thanks
Dave

NAXJA forever

is it the fan whirling up when you first start it. mine does it to when its cold at night. about 10 sec right when you start it.

90xj06
turn off, and start your xj with the heater/vent/ac in the off position, that will eliminate the sound, wait like 5 mins and it wont make it you have to let the belt warm up

Back