• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flowmaster Super 40

91jeepster

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1991 Jeep XJ and I just put in a Flowmaster Super 40 muffler. It sounds much better, but it is not as loud as others I hear on YouTube. Is there something else I can change to get a more aggressive sound, without breaking the bank. Remember that it's 17 years old, so I don't want to invest too much. Thanks a bunch.

I haven't done it on my XJ, so I don't know from experience how much extra sound you'll get, but you should get a louder sound if you replace your factory airbox with something high-flow... I've got the factory box, just dropped a K&N in there. Didn't notice any increase in sound level from that.

i have a banks header and random tech cat along with a flowmaster delta 40 series, it is a bit louder than a friends wrangler (4.0)with just a 40 series for exhaust upgrades. His sounds a little 'smoother' though

andrew2516 said:
Let it break in...there is no need to replace anything it will get loud.
There's nothing to "break in" Flowmasters don't have any packing, just baffles. And trust me, a loud exhaust gets really old after a long day on the trail and highway---------Hans

Oatmeal said:
There's nothing to "break in" Flowmasters don't have any packing, just baffles. And trust me, a loud exhaust gets really old after a long day on the trail and highway---------Hans

They get louder either way...

I've had a few flowmasters they all get louder after some long driving.

not much more short of putting on a glasspack cherry bomb muffler. Other than that it does get old. I got a ton of power and I just enjoy the low base rumble. That kind of tone is what will turn a head and sound good when stomping, yet quiet when on the long monotenous drives.

andrew2516 said:
They get louder either way...

I've had a few flowmasters they all get louder after some long driving.
You must mean when the exhuast gets rust holes in it by gets louder. Cause like said earlier there is nothing in a Flowmaster to break it in. Now glasspacks break in after you heat up internal packing then it cools off. If you want a louder exhuast get a 30 series Flowmaster. Or add a header to it. But a high flow cat is a waste of money, they don't flow anymore then a stock cat in reality and you won't tell a difference honestly. And like stated a loud exhuast is cool at first but it gets old especially in a daily driver.

My CJ runs a header straight to a Flowmaster 40 and dumps right after the transfer case skid. When I drive it to work i can't go thru drivethrus cause they can't hear me w/o cutting it off. So I really suggest don't make it louder, it will get old.

slipslap said:
My CJ runs a header straight to a Flowmaster 40 and dumps right after the transfer case skid. When I drive it to work i can't go thru drivethrus cause they can't hear me w/o cutting it off. So I really suggest don't make it louder, it will get old.

I hear you there...drive throughs do the same thing to me and my jeep is just a banks header, highflow cat, FM40 and 2.5" tail pipe off of the I6.

While Flowmasters don't have a break-in period, they will get louder. I suppose due to exhaust deposits on various spots inside the muffler that smooth out the airflow. Mine is louder than when I first installed it. I have a Delta flow 50 series. Has that signature rumble but not too annoying, and suprisingly quiet on the highway. I think it's loudest between 900-2000 rpm. Above or below that, and it sounds smoother. Of course, you'll have more volume at higher rpms, but it's not as "loud", if that makes any sense.

You don't want it louder like previously posted. Last trip to the trails unfortunatly I popped a nice giant hole between my cat and muffler and I could barely even talk to my passengers on the trail and on the highway forget about it. Stock cat to Delta 40 and I love it!

Back