• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on Monroe shock

ebishop

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever tried the Monroe sensatrac load adjusting shock absorbers? The back of my jeep sags a bit when I hook up my trailer, and I need new shocks anyways, was hoping that these would take care of both issues. I don't really care about ride quality since this is just to tow my toys around.

Thanks,

Eric

the shocks wont affect ride height. a new set of springs would help that. try a heavy duty set. it may be slightly raised in the rear with no load though but i cant recall any difference. it may be from having older coil springs in the front that are already slightly collapsed.

GOJEEP just did a write up on an "Airlift" installation on his XJ. I have a set in the rear of my K1500 pickup for car carrier towing, that operate as advertised, actually improves the ride. I have a set in the front of my V30, to compensate for the plow, they work as advertised.
I have no recent knowledge of Monroe air shocks, Eagle is a Monroe fan and may have some input.

I have SensaTrac's on the front with SensaTrac coil-overs on the back. They did raise the back end ~1/2" and help a great deal when I tow my boat. They do, however, harshen up the ride a bit when unloaded. But, I don't find it terribly objectionable.

Dave

ebishop said:
Anyone ever tried the Monroe sensatrac load adjusting shock absorbers? The back of my jeep sags a bit when I hook up my trailer...

Eric,
I just installed Monroe Sensatracs, and the slightly sagging rear doesn't sag now. The Jeep sits level and slightly higher now.
They improve the ride quality amazingly, and also shorten stopping distance.
Even manhole covers don't bother these shocks.
I highly recommend them, and so did many on this board in more than one thread.

New shocks will increase resistance and therefor increase ride height a bit...but not for long. I'm sure the height will sag to normal eventually.

I do really like the Sensatracs I have on the front. I haven't gotten around to snapping my rear upper shocks bolts off yet...

Back