• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire fitment Q's

bigalpha

Right now I'm running 32 x 11.5 on 15" rims.

I want to downsize to 31 x 10.5.

Can I run these smaller tires with no problems?

Or, can I find tires with this sizing nomenclature: 255/65R15 and run those with no problems?

rogersjeep said:
You're just messing with us right?

Fixed.

It's not 1 April is it? If you are going to post criticism but not post anything constructive, you can get lost.

Let me clarify my original post: which sizes can I run with no problems?

If you still have the factory gearing then you would be doing your jeep a favor by going closer to the factory tire size.
You should get an increase in mpg and performance.
It may look funny depending on lift size.
And you speedometer will be a little more accurate.

Now a question for you. What size lift? What gears are you running? What size rims? What is your intended porpuse for changing tire size?
These answers will help people answer your questions.

Last edited:
bigalpha said:
Let me clarify my original post: which sizes can I run with no problems?
Any you mentioned. I'm not sure why you would ask if you could downsize??? :eyes:

Hum. I think I make sense in the deep cavities of my brain, but I'm not being totally clear here.

The issue that I'm concerned with mostly, is section width. If I go with a 31" tire, the width will be a 10.5; as opposed to my current 11.5 with 32" tires. Is there going to be any problems with the tire seating properly?

I have stock gearing on a 4.5" lift (though, I believe that lift has settled some).

My intent was to find out which sizes (using this nomenclature: 255/65R15) would translate to be around 31 or 32". Are there different names for the two different sizing nomenclatures?

@ rogersjeep, I just pulled up tirerack and found a slew of 31" tires. What size are you looking for? My 255/65R15 example was only an example of that type of nomenclature; I wasn't necessarily looking up that size.

I run 235/85/16's, try looking for a similar size in 15's- this is about a 10" wide and 32" tall tire- suits my needs and handled very well off road. I'm also running a 4.5" lift. If you can't find them in 15's, you could always pick up a used set of 16" wheels.
Good Luck

If you are running an eight inch wide rim a 31x10.50r15 (or equvilent) would work but don't air down to low as it will be very easy to roll the bead off.
Any larger and I would not recommend it.
A 7" or 7.5" rim would be best for a 10.5" tire.

So you are basically asking if your new tires would work on the old rims, something that doesn't have to do with your Jeep. To help with this we need more information than what you included.

As rogersjeep was saying, it depends on your rim width, not diameter. What width is the rim. Rogers makes a good suggestion.

rogersjeep said:
If you are running an eight inch wide rim a 31x10.50r15 (or equvilent) would work but don't air down to low as it will be very easy to roll the bead off.
Any larger and I would not recommend it.
A 7" or 7.5" rim would be best for a 10.5" tire.

just for examples sake... I run 31 x 10.5 x 15's on 8" wide rims, and air down to 12 p.s.i. on a regular basis off road, and don't baby them... ProComp Xterrains... and have had no issues with tires coming unbeaded.

my .02

T.G.

a 265/75/15 is more or less a 10.00x31 a 255/65x15 should be a 9.00x29, all of these tires can be run on a 7" or 8" wheel but the 255/65 would be happier on a 7" wheel. I hope this helps

i wheeled my f100 with 31x10.5's on 15x10 wheels for 10 years before picking up some 15x8 wheels - which I ran for another 5 years before going 8 lug 16x8.

Unless you are talking 6 psi on the rocks, you won't have a problem.

Awesome, I'll definitely look into those other tire sizes then. I don't do any rock crawling, so I don't really air down the tires.

Back