• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheaper Gas................

sprngfldxj

NAXJA Forum User
On my trip to Branson Mo a couple of weeks ago, I came across some stations that offered a 10 cent cheaper fuel. It wasnt E85, but it was only 10% Eth. Can this be used in the vehicle with out damage or voiding warranties?
Any info?

King Soopers/City Market run the same deal everytime you spent $100 on groceries gas is $0.10 cheaper a gallon for one fillup.

As far as the ethanol, Ive been seeing that marked on alot of pumps lately as 10%. I dont know if its a warranty voider or safe though.

It's a Midwest thing, almost ALL fuel here in the Chicago area is at least 10 percent eth. E85 is 85 percent Eth and is a different animal and requires a different engine.

You are lucky you didn't fawk up your engine. E85 and like ethanol fuels are ONLY for engines designed to run them. It is 85 percent ethanol.

Like I said, here in the corn belt, gas here is at MOST 10 percent ethanol. It runs just fine and does nothing to your warranty. Actually it is almost impossible to find gas WITHOUT it here.

The Ethanol acts as an oxygenate at 10%. Here in California, they were using MTBE for that purpose until they figured out that it did more harm to the environment than good. Now much of the gasoline has been reformulated as E10. Basically, it's supposed to help cut down on smog. It's not any cheaper.

On a side note, I got back from New Zealand a couple weeks ago. There, "petrol" was around $8 per gallon but their regular was 91 octane, and premium was 101. However, diesel was about half that so many people were driving diesel Toyota pickups and Land Rovers. Jeeps weren't nearly as common, but I did see a few.

Here in the PNW we have 10% Ethanol in our fuel...

No warranty issues, but it does decrease gas mileage by a hair.....

BTW, with E10, you will find out just how dirty your fuel system really is.....

there is a lot of e10 around here

10% ethanol has been common for many years in the midwest (where I grew up) the ethanol blend will do no damage to the engine, and is authorized under all major manufacturers warranty terms. Many actually encourage it.

A few benefits of ethanol gas is that it burns cleaner and it also absorbs all water that forms in your tank over time. This is VERY beneficial to people that live on cold climates due to the fact that you no longer need to run isopropol alcohol (HEET) in your tank during the winter months. You will notice on average a 1 MPG decrease in economy until the ethanol cleans the water and other contaminiates out of your system. once its clean, you will return to normal, or 1 MPG better.

Also ethanol reduces our dependancy on foreign oil, it does this by creating 34% more energy than it takes to produce it. It also helps out the US farm industry by making a VERY large market for their crops.

One MAJOR risk of this fuel is that it CANNOT be used with a two-stroke engine. The reason is that the ethanol that is dissolved in the fuel will not properly mix with the oil, thereby stopping proper lubrication of the engine.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol#As_a_fuel

Or you can see this link as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

Last edited:
I have been using the 10% blend for a long time. no damage. That includes running it in various 2 strokes. from weedeaters to dirt bikes. many years of use without even a re ring.

I live in MO it wont hurt any thing unless you have and older car the rubber in the fuel systems was not made for it .If you have a carb it will ruin the rubber parts in it had it do it to my 85 jeep had to rebuild the carb with a kit made for it .I think most new fuel lines are made so it wont hurt them

I've never had any problems with the XJ, but I've ruined 2 fuel filters in a single summer in my Volkswagen Jetta thanks to E10. That was in 2006, and they weren't advertising it, so I couldn't avoid it until it was too late. Volkswagen told me the car could not run it, and I paid for both repairs, they didn't give me warranty service on them. The gas stations might have been using greater than 10%, the Volkswagen techs told me the fuel was yellow when they emptied the tank. Would've been nice of the stations to let me know what they were doing!

Dustin_Z said:
10% ethanol has been common for many years in the midwest (where I grew up) the ethanol blend will do no damage to the engine, and is authorized under all major manufacturers warranty terms. Many actually encourage it.

A few benefits of ethanol gas is that it burns cleaner and it also absorbs all water that forms in your tank over time. This is VERY beneficial to people that live on cold climates due to the fact that you no longer need to run isopropol alcohol (HEET) in your tank during the winter months. You will notice on average a 1 MPG decrease in economy until the ethanol cleans the water and other contaminiates out of your system. once its clean, you will return to normal, or 1 MPG better.

Also ethanol reduces our dependancy on foreign oil, it does this by creating 34% more energy than it takes to produce it. It also helps out the US farm industry by making a VERY large market for their crops.

One MAJOR risk of this fuel is that it CANNOT be used with a two-stroke engine. The reason is that the ethanol that is dissolved in the fuel will not properly mix with the oil, thereby stopping proper lubrication of the engine.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol#As_a_fuel

Or you can see this link as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

I don't want to turn this into a pissing match but where I live in Minnesota there is an ethanol plant 15 miles from me and I've talked to many of the people there and ethanol actually takes 30% MORE energy to produce it than you get from it and then you take how many gallons of water that it takes during production to make a gallon of it and then it really gets worse....
And there is no way that you will get better mileage from it because of the simple fact there is not as much energy or btu's in ethanol as straight gas.
I do have first hand experience in with the 85% ethanol blend because I own a flex fuel vehicle and when I ran it my mpg's dropped from 20 to just over 16 and when it only costs 40 or so cents less it is definitely not worth it IMO.
I am totally for finding alternative fuels but ethanol from corn is not the way.

Last edited:
Ethanol is a great fuel but producing it from corn is not the answer. It's raising food prices and the only reason why it is any cheaper than gas is government subsidies.
But back on point I run e10 and do notice about a 1mpg decrease in my economy. I live in Missouri and there is a law requiring all gasoline in the state to be e10.
off track, Someone said it is the same as reformulated gas? Curious about that as the programmer for my truck has a setting for reformulated gas.

I've been on E10 since it first came out years ago. No major driveability points for me.

In Brazil, it's all alcohol at some pumps, E100 IIRC. When the price is appropriate, I might run my wife's van on E85, but not now. I would prefer a lot less subsidies to see an honest market price.

"It's raising corn prices" doesn't bump sweet corn at the grocery store, that's just profiteering by the distributor. Fuel grade corn for distillation is feed corn for cows, not humans, and the distiller's grains from the processing make them good money on the feed lots. They are raking it in with both hands.

Maybe the best way to beat them is a 4 cylinder CJ2, but I wouldn't hold my breath for Chryco to bother after the major upsizing the Wrangler just took. Talk about competing with Hummer . . .

Well, the stuff I found in KS was listed as a 10% Eth blend, yet it was 10 cents cheaper.
I see the E85 stuff all over and I know that that stuff is not good on the vehicle, but didnt know of the other stuff was or not?

Minnesota gas, by law, is at least 10% ethanol. A few select pumps sell high octane fuel that is not spiked. I have never had problems with it, and I don't know anyone that has had problems with it.

In my 94 4.0, I would run a half tank of e85 with a half tank of regular 87 octane(e10) and never had a problem with it. I lost about 1 mpg and It saved me about 2 bucks a tank, back when gas was 2.75 or so. I'd still be doing that, but i moved to Rapid City, SD where it's harder to find e85.

Just food for thought. Why did the state government's have to mandate a 10% ethanol blend to our gas. Why not let the public market decide? If it was any good the public would have bought it and requested it. HMMMM Can you say some lobbyists had some serious cash ready for this investment.:eyes:
Gotta love America.
:patriot:

I'm pretty sure Connecticut has a law requireing 10% ethanol as well. I havent seen 100% gasoline since i've been driving (3 years).

~Alex

Back