• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differences in Dana 30 pinion seals (for searchers)

CreativeSN

NAXJA Forum User
The reason this is in the modified tech section is because it applies to my 4.10 Spicer regeared HP Dana 30. It is to help any searchers out who are looking for info on changing pinion seals. The seal that I got at the dealer had a slightly offset sealing lip from the one that originally came with my Spicer master install kit. This is good because there is usually a little bit of wear where the seal touches the yoke, as was the case with mine.
The number on the seal that came out is National 39118-2* and the new one says National 44895. The new seal was purchased using factory part number 83503390 as found in the online Jeep parts diagram PDF, however the bag reads 1-04746772.
Here is the worn yoke:
dsc01502cv0.jpg

Measuring the old seal:
dsc01505dd1.jpg

The depth of the sealing lip on the old seal:
dsc01507gx4.jpg

Measuring the new seal:
You can see the difference looking from the side. It even comes with some grease!
dsc01508qp9.jpg

The reading of the new seal:
dsc01509jl5.jpg

This yields an offset of 1.54mm toward the yoke. Hopefully it will stop leaking now. :thumbup:

Both true, but this is not a special seal. It is the OE one from the parts diagram. I also ordered it before I removed the yoke so I didn't know it was worn. Your guess is as good as mine why it is different from the one I had...

Back