• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Alignments...

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
So I tried to adjust the toe in on my 96 4x4...got the 2 clamps on the tie rod loosened easy enough, but couldn't turn the stupid thing at all! What's the trick- is it just really hard to do? I soaked everything down with lube-

Pipe wrench and a little bit of heat freed up mine. It wouldn't budge before the heat application.

OBXJ said:
big vice grips.. the first time I ever did mine, it was a royal PITA to get the clamp spinning..

Ok- the clamps are spinning around like crazy- they loosened up easy. What part should I be turning- the long bar part, right? -

citRon said:
Ok- the clamps are spinning around like crazy- they loosened up easy. What part should I be turning- the long bar part, right? -

No. It's like a turnbuckle. You have loosened both clamps, they are on each end of the joint between the two rods. The part between the two clamps is what you need to turn. When you turn it you will change the length of the entire assembly.

DougJ said:
No. It's like a turnbuckle. You have loosened both clamps, they are on each end of the joint between the two rods. The part between the two clamps is what you need to turn. When you turn it you will change the length of the entire assembly.

Ok, looking at go-jeep's site and picture- the vice grips are turning the tie rod bar itself, right? The long bar between the two clamps...?

citRon said:
Ok, looking at go-jeep's site and picture- the vice grips are turning the tie rod bar itself, right? The long bar between the two clamps...?

Yes. The bar is what you want to turn.

set toe in 1/8", measure from the center of the tires. center the steering wheel with the other rod. if you spend much time in the rocks you'll get good a d.i.y. alignments. long bar is the tie rod, short rod is the drag link.you all do a good job now!

might i suggest...
6mm%20flame%20thrower.JPG

FLAM_lg.jpg

or is it a bit much?

not mine, wife wouldn't let me play with something like that...but still wish i had it!

I rotated my tires and noticed REALLY bad uneven wear on the front pass tire, checked my toe-in and it was 1" wider at fron than back!!!! Way off. Took a big pipe wrench to move it and pb to boot. I'll be keeping a close eye on it from now on.

thanks guys- this has been my 1 year long project Cherokee -believe it or not, just to put on a BB and deal with all the other adjustments like track bar, steering, etc.
I put on a 2" AAL and 2" spacers. Then the fun started with all 4 rear shock bolts breaking, front coil spring holders stripping out, etc....My trackbar needed moved, and my toe in is ~1/2 too far away at the front.

So I re-drilled my trackbar mount at the axle 3/4" to the right to correct the axle, and now it's too far over to the passenger side!

Last edited:
citRon said:
thanks guys- this has been my 1 year long project Cherokee -believe it or not, just to put on a BB and deal with all the other adjustments like track bar, steering, etc.
I put on a 2" AAL and 2" spacers. Then the fun started with all 4 rear shock bolts breaking, front coil spring holders stripping out, etc....My trackbar needed moved, and my toe in is ~1/2 too far away at the front.

So I re-drilled my trackbar mount at the axle 3/4" to the right to correct the axle, and now it's too far over to the passenger side!

Time for an adjustable track bar.

Back