• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tools I need for my project

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
after about six month of purchasing parts for my 98 xj I am finally about to start building it.:looney: I will be installing a tnt lift, frame stiffeners, steering kit; ridgco front and rear bumpers with tire carrrier, rock rails; gibson exhaust, front and rear gears and lockers, a superwinch and a sye. I have a pretty good assortment of wrenches, sockets and typical hand tools. I also have a plasma cutter, mig welder, drill, drill press, compressor and grinders. what else do I need? I am trying to justify an impact wrench and socket, but what size sockets do I need?

Sounds like you are pretty well stocked.
Suggestions:
- Multiple BFHs
- Decent Air Compressor
- 1/2 Impact (IR2135TI, IMO)
- SAE and Metic Impacts in standard sizes
- Air Hammer with goodies
- Several Welding magnets
- Everything else you can think of.

Is any of that required? No. You should be just fine with what you've got.
Then again, I'm assuming your a guy and if you're anything like me you can't help yourself when the "sale" catalog hits the mailbox. :)

Last edited:
Get yourself a set of lady's feet.

MAY-60150-L.jpg

Good for hitting, prying, lining up holes, stabbing ... its my favorite tool.

If you don't have one, get a good 3-5lb "dead blow" hammer. It will become your best friend.

Definitely invest in the impact wrench - if nothing else, it saves time and energy.

21mm standard and deep sockets and box end wrench. The LCA and rear leaf bolts bolts are all 21mm.

PB Blaster - be sure to soak the bolts on the rear leaf pack front spring eyes (spray into the frame hole to get to the nut welded inside the frame) and the shackle bolts/nuts.

Tall jack stands.

1/2" shallow socket with 12 points to remove the front unit bearings if you need to, and a 36mm impact socket to bust the stub shaft hub nut loose if you need to separate the shaft from the bearing. If you're doing gears, at a minimum, you'll need the 1/2" 12 point to remove the bearings/shafts as a unit to get the carrier/gears removed.

RCman said:
Sounds like you are pretty well stocked.
Suggestions:
- Multiple BFHs
- Decent Air Compressor
- 1/2 Impact (IR2135TI, IMO)
- SAE and Metic Impacts in standard sizes
- Air Hammer with goodies
- Several Welding magnets
- Everything else you can think of.

Is any of that required? No. You should be just fine with what you've got.
Then again, I'm assuming your a guy and if you're anything like me you can't help yourself when the "sale" catalog hits the mailbox. :)

Not to high jack this thread but the torque on that impact:scared: . Thanks for giving me another tool to buy. lol 1000ft. lbs. Is pretty impressive.

Jeepm@n said:
Not to high jack this thread but the torque on that impact:scared: . Thanks for giving me another tool to buy. lol 1000ft. lbs. Is pretty impressive.

I know. :D I ABSOLUTELY hands down love mine. It is by far one of the most used tools in my garage. I believe they just came out with a new model a month or so ago out with a newer grip I don't know if the specs are the same or not.

/Thread High Jack :laugh2:

You're going to need a press, Vernier caliper or micrometer, dial indicator and torque wrenches to do the r&p's.

" what size sockets do I need?"

Bwaaahahaha, you will need all of them, metric and std. I hate the mix of fasteners on XJ's. I usually end up lying on my back with every socket and wrench I own scattered about me in a large semi-circle.

G.Nenzel said:

Bwaaahahaha, you will need all of them, metric and std. I hate the mix of fasteners on XJ's. I usually end up lying on my back with every socket and wrench I own scattered about me in a large semi-circle.

Testify!!! :D

I've had to buy a couple sets of metric sockets and a set of metric combo wrenches since I started seriously working on it.

G.Nenzel said:

thats what I was afraid of!!!!!! oh well whats a few hundred bucks more? I wish somebody would have told me how much I was gonna spend when I bought my jeep....Just Empty Every Pocket is no joke!!! thanks for all of your input. I am glad that osh is having a 25% of all craftsman tools this sat.

Back