• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'91 XJ Noise (LOUD clanking)

filipm

NAXJA Forum User
So I've had this '91 for 12 years and am looking for a solution (don't want to give it up). I'm new to these forums and since reading through posts it has given me a newfound admiration for the Jeepo and I've been planning on some mods. Once I started planning, the marbles showed up.

Started out like a quiet ticking noise, so I add some MMO and checked lifters; all is well. I've cruised through a lot of post and came across "marbles in a can." After listened more closely, turns out it seems to be the issue. I've read about possible torque coverter or flywheel bolts being loose. Local mechanic said it might be a cracked flywheel and would cost around 600 bucks. Don't have that dough if it could be something more simple.

Is there a way to access these without having to drop the transmission??
Thanks!

Fil

i also have a 91 and have had the same issue. there is an inspection cover on the front botom of the tranny that comes off and then the flywheel bolts can be tightened one at time then turn the crank to get to the next. pretty simple really. i have personally never heard of an xj with a cracked flywheel but i would try those bolts first. fixed my problem.

Thanks for the advice. I gave it a go last night and the inspection cover bolts (there were two big ones) wouldn't budge. Sprayed them down and going to try again tonight.

Back