• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF is up with my blinkers?

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
OK i have this little question. When i am sitting at a light or stopped and i am turning left. My rear hazards flash. What is going on here?

Do you have a trailer wireing kit?
Is it only when you are stopped?
is it only going left?

no wiring kit. need to order it. Only when my foot is on the brake and only turning left

sounds like you have a bad ground in your left tail light.
What year is your Xj?
I think there are some years that the Tail light bulbs were combined. and some that the turn and tail and stop were separated. If they were combined it would make sense, that the ground wire is broken for the left turnsignal.

If not I would check to see if there is a short where the wires split to go to the tail light, If the left turnsignal wire was crossed with the brake wire they would alternate when the brakes are on.
good luck..

If its a 97+ then its your turn signal switch in your steering column

Common problem found in them, happened in my '99. I turn my left blinker on, and my hazards would turn on in the rear every once and a while. As it got worse, I lost left blinking ablities all together.

Jeepm@n said:
Could also be the bulb. I've had the filament's on the inside start to short together causing the same thing.

True but that does not last long usually...

Common problem found in them, happened in my '99. I turn my left blinker on, and my hazards would turn on in the rear every once and a while. As it got worse, I lost left blinking ablities all together.

I had that happen on my 98, but it was not related to the brakes. it happened every time the turn signal was on... however, I wonder if his wireing harnes is loose under the dash and moving when the brake is pressed causeing it to happen...
strange....
:cheers:
Have a beer, and tear into it, let us know what you find out..

This is a fairly common problem with the early models. I don't know about the late models, but here is the solution for the early models. There is a common frame ground behind the plastic facia panel in the drivers side rear. It is behind where the spare tire mounts. If it is loose or bad, it will cause any manner of wierd behavior.

Sorry guys. Its a 97 had some other things on my mind(lets just say she is gorgeous). Forgot to say the year. damn didn't want to have to change my turn signal switch. Damn Jeep Gremlins:banghead:

i will check a couple of these ideas out then come back with my findings

i just fixed the same issue in my 98... and a friend had the same issue a few years ago in a 98 as well..
$40 turn signal switch from Advance. pretty easy job.

similar problem here, but only happens for a few days and then goes away. The left blinker works fine. When I use the right blinker, it works fine until I step on the brake, then it blinks twice as fast, and when I let off the brake, it works fine.

I went outside my jeep to see what was goin on while someone was inside, and everytime they would step on the brake, the reverse light would come on and blink instead of the brake or turn signal. They when the brake is released, the turn signal blinks normally.

The weird thing is that when all this happens, my check engine light comes on and when the problem disapears, my light goes off.

A little info, its a 99. I have trailer wire hooked up (which seemed to work perfectly at the time of install)

similar problem here, but only happens for a few days and then goes away. The left blinker works fine. When I use the right blinker, it works fine until I step on the brake, then it blinks twice as fast, and when I let off the brake, it works fine.

I went outside my jeep to see what was goin on while someone was inside, and everytime they would step on the brake, the reverse light would come on and blink instead of the brake or turn signal. They when the brake is released, the turn signal blinks normally.

The weird thing is that when all this happens, my check engine light comes on and when the problem disapears, my light goes off.

A little info, its a 99. I have trailer wire hooked up (which seemed to work perfectly at the time of install)
Swap the bulbs for the brake light also as a shorted filament can cause problems.

Is it a 4 wire flat or 7 wire round? I've heard of those plug and play modules going bad. Unplug it and try it without it.

Back