• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling all Hams!

Rob Mayercik

NAXJA Member #920
NAXJA Member
I'm not a ham, but my dad is and the quesiton is for his benefit:

He's got an old Kenwood TH-41BT 440MHz handheld that he's trying to fix, but he's got a wire loose and can't figure out where it belongs.

It seems this radio has an IC that had a little thermal shock issue - he pulled it out of his inside coat pocket one winter evening and the chip blew. He got another chip and replaced it, and that one died the same way.

Upon trying to install another replacement, he discovered that when moving the two circuit boards inside the radio to get to the chip, a wire broke loose from one of its mounting points, and there's no evidence on either board to suggest where it might have come from.

He's the original owner, and has the manual with schematics. He says they're not much help, and has come up dry on looking for resources on the Internet. All that Kenwood has offered has been to repair it for him, for their usual shop and repair fees. He's not interested in that. Apparently when he called them about this, they wouldn't (or couldn't) tell him where the wire goes.

So, I was wondering if one of the Hams here at NAXJA might be able to help, or point us in the right direction to find out what he needs.

TIA,

Rob

Contact Kenwood again but you have to hit the right department..... I dont have their Ham division (or rather communications) number handy anymore, but I have met couple of their guys at a Ham convention couple years back and there were a helpful bunch of chaps.... When he called them did he talk to the general tech support? If so then that's what the problem is.... also he might want to mention that the issue he has is with the schematics being incoplete more then with the unit not working...

Kejtar
KF6OLM

Also he might want to contact the shop he got the radio from.. they might have an internal shop or might refer you to one that can help.

I think he bought it direct from the manufacturer, or it was otherwise mail-ordered.

I will ask him if he talked to General Tech or the Ham division.

Thanks.

Rob

Back