• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wtf is an A500 Transmission?

jk333 said:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/723266002.html

doesn't look like an AW4, because the bellhousing is part of the transmission like a Turbo 350. Ideas? Are these guys on crack? :dunno:

I'd have to check, but "A500" sounds like a 1980's/1990's Chrysler slushbox. The picture shows it being a 4WD (note the tailhousing that doesn't really taper down,) but I can't think of what it might be OEM in - as far as Jeeps. Maybe ChryCo pickups, like the Dakota and the smaller Ram pickups.

Most of the ChryCo slushboxes that ended up in Jeeps are 42Rx/44Rx, for the most part. Some might have gotten a 36RH/37RH, which is an updated A727 - but that's all I can think of offhand.

I'd think of this more as going under a Dakota or a 1/2-ton Ram - possibly a Durango.

5-90 said:
I'd have to check, but "A500" sounds like a 1980's/1990's Chrysler slushbox. The picture shows it being a 4WD (note the tailhousing that doesn't really taper down,) but I can't think of what it might be OEM in - as far as Jeeps. Maybe ChryCo pickups, like the Dakota and the smaller Ram pickups.

Most of the ChryCo slushboxes that ended up in Jeeps are 42Rx/44Rx, for the most part. Some might have gotten a 36RH/37RH, which is an updated A727 - but that's all I can think of offhand.

I'd think of this more as going under a Dakota or a 1/2-ton Ram - possibly a Durango.

Thanks 5-90, yeah Im puzzled about this one too.

The A500 is a Chrysler tranny, also known as a 40RH, 42RH, 42RE, and the 44RE.

The RE's are the electric version of the RH's.

They were used in most all rear wheel drives from '89 and up.

The ad probably for a Grand Cherokee, as they did come with Chrysler trannys in them.

The pic of the trans could just be a generic pic.

CanMan said:
The A500 is a Chrysler tranny, also known as a 40RH, 42RH, 42RE, and the 44RE.

The RE's are the electric version of the RH's.

They were used in most all rear wheel drives from '89 and up.

The ad probably for a Grand Cherokee, as they did come with Chrysler trannys in them.

The pic of the trans could just be a generic pic.

Ah. I knew about the difference betweeen xxRE/xxRH (the first number is the number of forward speeds, the second number is a "duty" rating. The "R" is for "Rear Wheel Drive," and "E" for electronic control/"H" for hydraulic control. I don't know what "RLE"/"RFE" or the other stuff comes out to...) but I didn't know the 42/44RE derived from the A500.

Back