• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Special TRE needed.

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
I just doing a OTK conversion on a TJ as I thought it would be the same as the one on my XJ and for some reason it is not? When at full lock the tie rod contacts the front of the coil bucket and even with that trimmed, it does not leave enough room for the swaybar bracket to be in place. What would solve the problem is if I could get a LH threaded TRE that has a bend in it like the top right shown here but with a make thread the same as stock.
tie-rod-ends-1.jpg

Anyone ever used something like that before?
Even some thing like this one off a Volvo would work but dont know about the taper?
gmb_prof_te_p.jpg

When I did mine, we just grinded the metal away and then reinforced it. I can't find the pictures that show this, but when I do, I'll post them

Did the same when I did mine too but the TJ has only a few mm left before the tie rod hits the coil spring, so no room left for the swaybar bracket. I have just worked out though that the old drag link you take off will work but the adjusting coupling has to be extended by a 130 mm. I think I will do that to mine to replace the stock hollow tie rod for strength reasons as I cannot use a V8 ZJ tie rod like you can, which has the bend I need in it and is solid cast steel as well, as there are no RHD V8 ZJ's.

Back