• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rack mounts

rifle6

NAXJA Forum User
on my 92 XJ, i need rack mounting options. i was going to build them but decided not to, i built the rack.

with the MILLIONS of options, what do i need? thule 430? with cross bars?
anyhelp would be great, i DO NOT not want gutter mounts. i want to use my factory rails,

anyhelp!!!

They wont last 5 minutes with factory rail mounts. but good luck with that.

jpcherokeekid said:
They wont last 5 minutes with factory rail mounts. but good luck with that.

I found that my rail mounts actually held up great. I had a big'ol heavy rack, (had a tire up there for a time) and went years without any issues. Only recently (when I took everything off to get the heep painted) did I reinforce the Rails with steel from underneath.

If your rails are in good working order, use them.

rifle6 said:
on my 92 XJ, i need rack mounting options. i was going to build them but decided not to, i built the rack.

with the MILLIONS of options, what do i need? thule 430? with cross bars?
anyhelp would be great, i DO NOT not want gutter mounts. i want to use my factory rails,

anyhelp!!!

Well my recommendation was going to be gutter mounts until I read your last sentence.
I guess my next question is what are you going to be doing with the rack and whats wrong with gutter mounts? Sorry, thats two questions.
Gutter mounts are by far (BY FAR) the stronger and more versatile option.
Factory XJ racks arent bad compared to most of the factory racks out there but they are still only held on the roof by 8 or 10 smallish sheetmetal screws. Theres been more than a few rails seperate from the roof because the load gets bouncing around up there.
As far as Thule 430s. I have Thule stuff , which I like(gutter feet and crossbars, canoe, kayak racks ect.) I used to have 430s but I only used them a couple times before taking them off in favor of gutter mounts. The 430s are pretty convenient but they are mostly small plastic pieces. Plastic is ok for somethings but anchor points for a roof rack isnt one of them. Q: What happens to plastic over time when its exposed to the sun and cold? A: It gets brittle and breaks.
For what its worth, there are the reasons I recommend gutter mounts for heavy or long loads. If you just wnat to throw a bike or something light up there, just use the factory crossbars.

i don't have a problem with gutter mounts,
i just thought tey looked weak
am i wrong?

things on the rack
lights
shovle
tire, sometimes 2 on long hauls
highlift
ocasional deer

rifle6 said:
i don't have a problem with gutter mounts,
i just thought tey looked weak
am i wrong?

things on the rack
lights
shovle
tire, sometimes 2 on long hauls
highlift
ocasional deer

The gutter mounts arent weak, at least not compared to the factory rails. Dont get me wrong, you cant pick the Jeep up by them but I can say with certainty that you can carry the above mentioned items using gutter mounts with no issues. You may get by with it using the factory rails but if you off road it with a tire (or two tires) I wouldnt put my money on them lasting more then a few years without you having to strengthen them.
The only drawback of gutter mounts is they stick out. They can get hung on branches, trees or rocks if you get in close to things.
Definately before you buy any of the quick removable feet for the factory rails (like the 430s, not sure what Yakima calls them), open up a box in the store and take a look at how they work. I dont think you will be impressed.

rifle6 said:
what model are the gutters
thule or yakima

Ive got Thule gutter mounts but Yakima makes good ones, as well as a couple other companies. The only reason I went with Thule was because I like the square crossbars over round ones. Just personal preference on that. I cant vouche for the quality of other gutter systems but my Thules have held up well for years (I usually have a couple Kayaks on them). Here are some examples of companies that make raingutter mounts and various crossbars.
http://www.rackattack.com/thule-rain-gutter-foot-packs.asp
http://www.rackattack.com/yakima-rain-gutter-towers.asp
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12138_906.htm
http://www.rjroffroad.com/warrior-gutter-mounts-for-jeep-cherokee-offroad-pr-16634.html

Last edited:
I bought a cheap Coleman rack on EBay, but got two extra cross bars from the junkyard, I think it spreads the load better, and reduces the weight held by each bar.

DSCN1286.jpg

SID

All racks have a load capability spec. I am not sure what it is for the 97+ XJ but I suspect it is 150# max (I believe the factory rack on the 97+ XJ's have a better nut sert solution than the earlier XJ's?). Thule and Yakima's are about double that (100-150# per bar depending on the system).

Gutter Mounts are MUCH stronger than any factory rack (not even close).
I have seen a few people use the factory crossbar to hold a rack with spare tire and made it last for a period of time, but it isn't a great idea.

If you plan on putting anything more than a hi-lift, and shovel I would definietly recommend a gutter mounted rack.

Michael

olysteve said:
BTW are you moving in that lake picture or are you stuck??

I'm stuck for the second time in that picture. The left line didn't work, so I tried the right. I had a lot of water in the doors, but the air filter never got clogged. SID

x2 on the Thule 300 mounts with 50" bars.

Just about every vendor is going to tell you that 50" bars are too short and Thule recommends going with the 58" bars. Don't get me wrong, the 58" bar will allow you to put more stuff up there but I think it looks goofy to have bars that are too long - just my opinion. The 50" bars will clear and lock tight with 3/4" overhang on each side.

Another option is to get the 58" bars and cut them to your preference.

Back