• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC comp oil capasity

just replaced my ac comp but ran into a problem. before being able to measure how much lube oil was in the old comp, it got nocked over by my big clumsy feet. i guesstimated about how much was lost and added + 1 oz it to the remaned unit i bought from NAPA. i guess it wasnt enough. i was on the way home from a run to the junk yard and when im in the middle of a construction zone i notice smoke coming from the front pass side of the hood. i knew i was fawked.

well i think i will go with a junkyard compressor now instead of spending the 378 bucks for a remaned one. i was wondering what the AC system lubricating oil capasity is. sure i plan on changing the oil (dumping out and refill) with the next comp but i was hoping to get a quantitative figure incase i manage to do this again.

tia
stewie
95 4.0

I'm no expert, but I just replaced a compressor on my wife's Ramcharger. I was told to measure the amount drained from the old one, then add the same amount. Why don't you try taking your new fawked one back to the store & tell 'em it's junk. I got mine from Advance Auto Parts with a 1 year warranty. I had to by a new reciever/dryer at the same time as the compressor for the warranty to ne valid.
Good luck!

im also trying to figure out this same thing and hopefully avoid your situation. if you think of anything, let me know. the only thing i could figure out was according to the FSM the whole system has 180 ml. the accumulator has 90 ml. the condensor has 22 ml. the evaporator has 45 ml. then it says to drain and measure whats in the compressor. im no mathematician, but what i don't understand is if the whole system has 180 ml. can't you just subtract the capacities of the other components (90 + 45 + 22 = 157 ml) from the 180 system capacity to get the compressor refill of 23 ml? which is actually less than 1 oz? i'll keep you updated if i hear anything!

kshbaja said:
i'll keep you updated if i hear anything!

thanks. i was pretty bumbed when the old oil spilled out.

Back