• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bump Start

Pigpen

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

'88--4.0-- manual five speed.

I would like to know how to bump start my jeep. I never owned a manual before and would like it if somebody would give me information on what to do.

Thanks,

Pigpen

Pigpen said:
Hi All,

'88--4.0-- manual five speed.

I would like to know how to bump start my jeep. I never owned a manual before and would like it if somebody would give me information on what to do.

Thanks,

Pigpen

1) Turn key to ON position.

2) Get a few buddies (or one cop car) to push you. The faster you can get going, the more likely you will fire up - I've had good luck getting up to about 10mph with push-power.

3) This is the tricky part. You're going to want to "pop" the clutch. This means that you want to release quickly until it's fully engaged, let it set for just a moment, then dump it back to being fully pressed.

Why does this work? You're spinning the engine, using the forward speed and the inertia of the vehicle. With the key ON, everything you need to start the vehicle is there except for the action of the starter motor - which you're replacing by pushing.

Yes, this will work on RENIX rigs (for the curious out there - I know there are a few of you...) I did it a few times with my 88.

I can get a good bump start in mine rolling down the slightly inclined driveway... maybe 5mph... possibly a bit more...
i don't think i've ever had a vehicle that kicked over so easily.. which makes me wonder about the 5 second starter engagement every time i crank it!
Yeah... My magical jeep needs new cables. Thanks to all for the info from those of you who care to share.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=950331&highlight=magical

a hijack question then:
I replaced my clutch (curses to those infernal internal slave cylinder engineers) and had a wicked clutch chatter in 1st and 2nd. for about 2 weeks. And now? the Magical Jeepy returns, and it engages as well as ever! This beast rocks! the question: CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THIS?

Try bump starting your buddy on the side of I-80 during 5pm traffic. Good thing that we both had 3/16 steel bumpers that lined up perfectly.

It usually works better in second gear, especially if your off road and the traction is limited.
A real letdown when five guys pushing get it going fast enough to start and the rear wheels lock up and refuse to spin, using second gear helps avoid this.

8Mud said:
It usually works better in second gear, especially if your off road and the traction is limited.
A real letdown when five guys pushing get it going fast enough to start and the rear wheels lock up and refuse to spin, using second gear helps avoid this.

x2

8Mud said:

True. If you can get it going fast enough, it's less of an issue (overcoming the inertia and compression of the engine with the inertia and momentum of the vehicle,) but second usually does work better. I'd forgotten that.

Fun times....

Just beware, if you do it wrong, you can sometimes meet the steering wheel........up close and personal.
Just follow what everybody says and it will work....

Back