• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 4.0l issues

ajjacobs

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, Just joined the site hoping to help my brother out. Did a quick search and was unable to find anything. He did an oil change (mobil 1 5w-30 and mobil 1 filter)and installed some new plugs. When he started the truck the pressure pegged at 80+ and there was what sounded like valve chatter. Oil levels are normall and everythiing else otherwise looks good. The only thing I can think of is he really cranked on the filter, it tight as hell and I was unable to loosen it in the short time I had. Would an overtight filer cause these issues. I was also thinking he somehow messed up the pressure sender. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help

AJ

The clattering I cannot explain with out hearing it. The oil pressure is probably the connector he bumped right above the oil filter and knocked it off or loose. I disconnect mine due to having large hands and not getting my hand in there with the larger M1-301 filter. Just be sure to plug it back in.

Jeepm@n said:
The clattering I cannot explain with out hearing it. The oil pressure is probably the connector he bumped right above the oil filter and knocked it off or loose. I disconnect mine due to having large hands and not getting my hand in there with the larger M1-301 filter. Just be sure to plug it back in.

Thats the connection to the pressure sender correct? I did remove/clean and reconnect that. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

AJ

Valve chatter 'could' just be the better Mobil 1 Oil that he used... not knowing what was in there before. Could be some old grummy dino-based oil and the new Mobil 1 is a much better synthetic oil.

The Oil Pressure... well, I'd say the Pressure Sender (as mentioned) either was broke, or not connected right. Oil Pressure Spikes are a dead giveaway of a bad Pressure Sendor or a bad plug-in connection.

I believe this is the the third change with the mobil1. Gonna try the filter today and if issues remain will swap in a new sender. Anyone know if the sender would be available at a local parts store of is it dealer only? Any ideas on price? Thanks much!

AJ

ajjacobs said:
Anyone know if the sender would be available at a local parts store of is it dealer only? Any ideas on price? Thanks much!

AJ
You should be able to get it at a parts chain store somewheres. Cost around $40.00.

Look online at NAPA, Oreillys, Advance Auto Parts or whatever stores you have around you locally and you should find it.

ajjacobs said:
The only thing I can think of is he really cranked on the filter, it tight as hell and I was unable to loosen it in the short time I had. Would an overtight filer cause these issues. AJ
I have only heard of "over tightening" a filter issue one time in my life and in that case it caused the engine to blow.
It was a long time ago and IIRC they said that the filter was put back on using a "socket" type of filter wrench. It was said that it was put on too tight and caused the holes in the filter (metal ones you see when you look at the end of the filter) to get messed up so no oil flowed into the engine.
So I would say it is possible this has happened here.

OK, update time. New filter, same issues. Brother did not get the pressure sender (i told him he should and just return it if the filter corrected, it did not) and oil pressure still peggs at 80+ and does not settle back down. Still a ticking noise, but its not coming from the valves like orignally thought (its lower, oil pump or pressure sender????). Going to swap out the sender and go from there. Will let you all know what happenes after the sender swap.

AJ

I wouldn't be using 5w/30 for summertime. 10w/40 is the minimum i'd say for a Northeast summer. I used Mobil 1 synth 10w/30 for 30K and for some reason there was always more chatter with that stuff. Switched to 10w/40 Royal Purple and the valve chatter is gone. x2 on that sender. Dab a little oil around the filter seal, hand tighten, then wrench it about a half turn.

Last edited:
hey all, just following up. Heres the deal, my brother replaced the filter and the same issue occured (instant high oil pressure and vavle noise). He got fed up and called a mech, guy towed the jeep to his shop and a day later said the issue was improper gap. This is impossible cause the gap was check twice. fairly sure the mech is not being truthfull here. and am wondering if a bad gap on a pulg will cause the above issue. The good news is he only charged $70 for the "repair" and the jeep runs fine now. so what do you think could a improperly gapped plug cause oil pressure isues and valve noise? Thanks for all the help.

AJ

Oil pressure no, not that I'm aware of. The chatter could have been caused by improper gap. Bought a car once with said chatter, tuned it up and it was perfect. The plugs looked fine just had been in there a while. Made $1400 on that deal

Back