• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Pressure, is 34 pounds too low?

Pioneer89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been problems with the XJ cutting out. Had a fuel pressure gauge put on it and it read 34 lbs. What is supposed to be?

Also, when it dies it has been taking a minute or two to start back up. I can hear the pump kick back on and then it starts. This usually happens in the first 5 minutes of driving and it hasn't done it once I have driven more that 15 minutes. I'm stumped.

I went to the dealer last night to buy a new fuel pump relay and ballast resistor before I had it tested and the parts guy told me I'd be wasting my money, it was probably the fuel pump. Sound right?

Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Last edited:
No I believe the reading is approx 39. 34 should probably not cause it to cut out. Put the gauge on next time it cuts out and take a reading. I would try the relay also. You can switch with one of the other relays in the relay cluster in a pinch. Greg

Back