• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch selection help

Deadman 94 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've narrowed it down to three. I'm no expert and would like some advice on which way to go, based on specs.
So far I like the Ramsey the best.

Thanks for any input.

Ramsey8000.jpg

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92142_003_07.htm
Ramsey Patriot 8000
Efficient 5.5 HP 12V DC series wound electric reversible motor for increased pulling power
Proven 3-stage planetary gear system design for fast line speed
Motor and solenoids are grounded directly to battery
Automatic load-holding brake for strength and reliability
Cam action clutch disengages planetary gear system for free spooling
Weather resistant fully integrated solenoid assembly
The Patriot series comes with a 12 ft. wire pendant remote
6 ft. (1.83 M) 2 gauge battery cables with connectors
4-way roller fairlead
Limited lifetime warranty
Made in the USA
$718

Warn8000.jpg

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92104_01_07.htm
M8000 SPECS/PART NUMBERS
Part Number: PN 26502 CE (12V DC) 100' wire rope and roller fairlead
Rated Line Pull: 8000 lbs. (3630 kgs.) single-line
Motor: 12V 4.8 hp, Series Wound™
Remote Control: Remote switch, 12' (3.7m) lead
Geartrain: 3-Stage Planetary
Gear Ratio: 216:1
Lubrication: Aeroshell #17
Clutch (freespooling): Sliding Ring Gear
Brake: Automatic Direct Drive Cone
Drum Diameter/Length: 2.5"/9.0" (6.4cm/23cm)
Weight: 74 lbs. (34 kgs.)
Wire Rope: 100', 5/16" diam. (30m, 8mm diam.)
Fairlead for PN 26502: Roller
Recommended Battery: 650 CCA minimum for winching
Battery Leads: 2 gauge, 72" (1.83m)
Finish: Argent Gray Powder Coat
Nuts/Bolts: PN 39625
$569

SuperWinch.jpg

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92140_006_07.htm
Superwinch EPi 9.0 Winch
Powers Load IN and OUT
Automatic Load Holding Brake
Quiet, Efficient, Full Metal 3-Stage Planetary Gear Box
Freespooling Clutch for Fast Wire Rope Payout
Efficient 4.6 hp Series Wound Motor
Heavy Duty Sealed Contactor
Durable Handheld Remote Switch on 15' Lead
Heavy Duty Roller Fairlead -- Roller fairlead does not attach directly to the winch.
$599

I guess It all depends on how much your going to use it, I have heard or see nothing bad with the Warn.

I agree that WARN is a good winch. I guess I just want to know whether or not the other two are worth it. I know they're all good winches but is there anything I should stay away from. Also, is it ok to go with the sealed solenoid?

Last edited:
For the money, It would be hard to beat the Warn M8000.
Warn is generally considered top of the heep, thats not to say the others arent any good, but I dont think theres anyone who would recommend against a Warn.
Of the three you listed, at the prices youve listed, I would select them in order of the Warn first, then the Superwinch, then the Ramsey.
Thats not because I have anything bad to say about the Ramsey, its because I just dont think the Ramsey is worth $100+ more then the others. Take that $100+ and buy yourself accessories (ie: tree saver, shackles, blocks, gloves, ect). You cant have too many winch accessories, thats what makes your winch safe and useful.

I know summit has winches for sale that ARE T-max winches but just covered with summit stickers, they cost a lot less.

Ray H said:
For the money, It would be hard to beat the Warn M8000.
Warn is generally considered top of the heep, thats not to say the others arent any good, but I dont think theres anyone who would recommend against a Warn.
Of the three you listed, at the prices youve listed, I would select them in order of the Warn first, then the Superwinch, then the Ramsey.
Thats not because I have anything bad to say about the Ramsey, its because I just dont think the Ramsey is worth $100+ more then the others. Take that $100+ and buy yourself accessories (ie: tree saver, shackles, blocks, gloves, ect). You cant have too many winch accessories, thats what makes your winch safe and useful.

Thanks, I think you're right, good points. I just liked to look of the ramsey at first but form follows function.

MONSTERxbla, thanks for that article, it seemed non-bias as far as I could tell.

XJ Fan said:
Here is somthing worth checking out, before you go spending big bucks for a name. I personaly have not used one of these, but I have heard really good things about them. www.gregsmithequipment.com/Winches-s/31.htm
May be a good winch and Ive got nothing against shopping around but your'e giving up alot of Warranty for a little money.
Atlas = 1 year and 90 days
Warn = lifetime and 1 year
Some other things to consider, parts availability, parts interchangability (on the trail).
When I bought my Warn. I thought, what if I need to barrow or someone else needs a controller. Probably 80% of the winches on the trail will be Warn. this wasnt a decision maker for me but it was on my "PRO Warn" list.

Last edited:
XJ Fan said:
Here is somthing worth checking out, before you go spending big bucks for a name. I personaly have not used one of these, but I have heard really good things about them. www.gregsmithequipment.com/Winches-s/31.htm

Thanks for the link but this is one time that I have the extra cash to spend. I've also read all the threads on the smittybuilts. For the most part they also seem to be worth the money.

That being said and as much as I plan to use it, I think I'll go with the WARN. At first I was against them because of the monopoly that they seem to have created but the more research I guess it's for a reason.

I still need to know whether it's best to have the sealed solenoid or the other. Sealed being the "over the top" mount. I know they will restrict more air flow but is there any other reason (maintenance wise) that I should go either way?

I've been reading some things that make me think that winches only work for so many pulls. I really thought that once I got a winch it would last for a very long time. Are people just abusing the ones that work 12 to 20 times then fail?

never really heard about a Ramsey winch failing out here (only know one guy with one), but I know of many Warn M8000s and cheap MileMarkers that have died. usually the solenoids get overloaded. The M8000 is the cheapie from Warn. it has excellent value for the price (that lifetime warranty is killer!) but I saw too many of them die on the trails due to the weak solenoids. So, I went with the Superwinch EPI 9 since I couldn't afford the Warn 9.5xp :) Two of the hardcore guys at work run the EPI 9, and use their winches often and no failures yet. The low amp draw is also a huge plus! One of the guys has been using his stock battery with the winch, for 3 years! Superwinch is supposed to be giving their winches a lifetime warranty now http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=374 but I've never heard of one of them dying.

That definately makes the Superwinch a contender. Better warranty, integrated electronics, longer cable. for only $30 more. I may have to change my preference order for the above mentioed winches to Superwinch, Warn, Ramsey.

fwiw, some people consider the longer cable to be a hindrance, since you won't have as much pulling power in an average distance pull due to more line still on the drum. But... it's a 9K winch instead of an 8K winch. And you may really need that extra 25' or 45' distance one day. Would kinda stink if your 100' line was 8 foot short of reaching the nearest tree from the mud put. ;)

whatevah said:
Two of the hardcore guys at work run the EPI 9, and use their winches often and no failures yet. The low amp draw is also a huge plus! One of the guys has been using his stock battery with the winch, for 3 years! .

I am also learning about winches for a purchase some time down the road. The specs on the EPI9 indicate a 156:1 gear ratio which is high (numerically low) relative to other winches, including the Superwinch 8500. My undersatnding, from the reading I've done, is that the winches with high gear ratios have HIGH amp draw. Of course being the winch noob that I am, I could have that all wrong.

I just got the new Superwinch LP8500 and its great. I had an EPi 9000 on my YJ and ran the crap out of it. Ive had my 8500 for about 2 months and its been used everytime I go out. I would have to say probably 30 times since I got it. The speed is great on the winch. Im running it off of a Optima Red Top and I have the 136amp Alt upgrade and it only hits me down to 11 when I use it which is really good. Plus for $399 you can beat it. I got the winch and 125ft of synthetic for less then my Epi9000 was!

Heres the specs on the LP8500
http://superwinch.com/LP8500_8_500_lbs.html

Its is hands down the best winch you can buy for the price!

whatevah said:
never really heard about a Ramsey winch failing out here (only know one guy with one), but I know of many Warn M8000s and cheap MileMarkers that have died. usually the solenoids get overloaded. The M8000 is the cheapie from Warn. it has excellent value for the price (that lifetime warranty is killer!) but I saw too many of them die on the trails due to the weak solenoids. So, I went with the Superwinch EPI 9 since I couldn't afford the Warn 9.5xp :) Two of the hardcore guys at work run the EPI 9, and use their winches often and no failures yet. The low amp draw is also a huge plus! One of the guys has been using his stock battery with the winch, for 3 years! Superwinch is supposed to be giving their winches a lifetime warranty now http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=374 but I've never heard of one of them dying.

Ok, I've changed the prefrence lol. I'm going to look a little more into the Super winch. Thanks

A little OT, but why do they sell those "rock crawler" winches with only 50' of rope? Size I guess? They're not cheap either.

those are competition winches. they are all smaller than a standard winch, too. They have a shorter line because in a competition environment, you're usually not very far from the anchor point, and the less line you have on the drum, the easier (hence faster) it is for the winch to pull.

Rod Knee said:
I am also learning about winches for a purchase some time down the road. The specs on the EPI9 indicate a 156:1 gear ratio which is high (numerically low) relative to other winches, including the Superwinch 8500. My undersatnding, from the reading I've done, is that the winches with high gear ratios have HIGH amp draw. Of course being the winch noob that I am, I could have that all wrong.
That depends on the motor, too. And how much line is left on the drum. An 8000lb pull on a EP or EPI 9 should need around 260amps. The same pull on a M8000 would need around 430amps. Winchline.com copied the mfg specs and compiled them for a few popular winches here: http://www.winchline.com/winch.htm

whatevah said:
fwiw, some people consider the longer cable to be a hindrance, since you won't have as much pulling power in an average distance pull due to more line still on the drum.

The mechanical advantage can be an issue with several wraps left on the drum. In a case where you need the power, its almost always a good idea to use a snatch block and double your line. I dont trust steel cable very much. If Ive got enough tension on the line to stall my 8000 winch, Im pretty nervious about it and will try to double the line when I can, this is where a longer line comes in handy on a short pull.

Back