• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio Mystery Plug and Connector?

epitaphmike

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what either of these 2 things are? I have a 98 XJ Sport.

Here is what the radio looks like:
jeep_radio.jpg

When I pulled the radio there was an extra plug strapped to the harness not connected to anything. There were 3 wires (Black, Blue/White, Red/White)

Does anyone know what this connector is for?
behind_dash_extra.jpg

After the Radio was out was looking for an AUX jack without luck. I did come across another plug and was curious what it was. Any ideas?

jeep_radio_plug.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Man I looked and looked through the FSM and I can't seem to find that white connector. It's probably for something that your jeep does not have or wasn't built with.
The one in the back of the radio look like it is for vehicles equiped with steering wheel controls for the radio.

I don't know what the one on the radio is, but I think the one in the harness is "blend door actuator" for HVAC. My 99 FSM is kind of coy about what it is, and where it is found, but that's the connector and color code they show. I'd look for a corresponding plug or socket somewhere, possibly on the back side of the control unit. It's pouring rain right now, or I'd pop my panel off and see if and where mine is connected. If you can't find something, call back in a day or so and I'll look.

A further investigation of the manual, which still is not very helpful, suggests that that plug will probably plug right into the blend air door motor, wherever that might be found.

Thanks, guys. I also looked through my FSM for over an hour without anyluck either. The one on the radio would make sense, but since I installed Sirius I dont have much use for that in the future. The white connector is still a mystery.

epitaphmike said:
Thanks, guys. I also looked through my FSM for over an hour without anyluck either. The one on the radio would make sense, but since I installed Sirius I dont have much use for that in the future. The white connector is still a mystery.
The 99 FSm shows that connector in the connector pinouts section 8W-80-6 (the connectors are listed alphabetically), but it has no connector number. I think that is because it connects directly to the actuator rather than to another part of the harness. The circuits referenced there are found in the diagram on 8W-42-6. I expect the 98 manual will be pretty similar, so you should be able to find it. You'll see that this is the only connector in the entire vehicle that is "natural" color, has 5 terminals of which the center three are populated, and with that color combination. I'm betting that if you can find the blend door actuator, you'll find where it plugs in.

Matthew Currie said:
I popped out the console and radio on mine. That mystery plug goes to the back side of the temp control.

Temp Control? I will have to pull mine out and take a look. I will also go back through my FSM. I am curious to what it controls because it is 113 degrees in AZ and my A/C is working exceptionally well. Especially with no tint and the XJ being all black.

Thanks again Currie, I really appreciate the help.

Back